The corridor at last

Three days went by without much happening. Arianthe stayed in her room avoiding everyone except Agnes, King Eustace got bored and executed someone for something or other, Mr Farrier got into trouble for shoeing a horse wrong and injuring a knight, and Sir Denver managed to ruin an entire banquet by knocking over a table.
But after these three days Arianthe emerged from her chambers, sleepless and haughty, and felt just as curious and rebellious as ever. She couldn't stop thinking about that corridor, she was certain it meant something but she just couldn't work out what. But all she knew was she must get back there at all costs.
The morning was surprisingly cold for May and Arianthe shivered slightly as she closed her bedroom windows. Fastening a green cloak around her shoulders she glanced round the edge of her door to see if there was anyone about, two guards stood with their backs to her a little way down the passage. Would they be able to hear her? Hopefully not. She quietly tiptoed out of her room and up the forbidden staircase. Her bare feet felt cold against the stone but they made no noise. She realised she'd been holding her breath and let it all out with a whoosh. This was a mistake however and the sound attracted the guards attention.
"The Princess!" one cried.
She turned and saw them coming towards her. Picking up her dress she sprinted up the remainder of the stairs desperately; she could not be caught this time. The doors were so close. Suddenly she felt someone grab her.
"I've got her! Help me pull!" cried another voice.
Stumbling back she saw out of the corner of her eye one of the guards holding onto her cloak with a tight grasp. Knowing there was only one way out of this Arianthe undid the clasp of her cloak, both guards were flung down the stairs and landed with a heap at the bottom. But Arianthe didn't have time to process this, all she could think about was the set of double doors and the mysterious corridor within.
Before she even knew what was happening the doors were open and the princess was on the other side. To be certain that no one would follow her, Arianthe took a rusty spear out of the hand of a suit of armour and put it through the door handle so it couldn't be opened.
She turned and gazed at the dimly lit corridor in front of her, it seemed longer than she had anticipated. And colder too. Wishing she still had her cloak on, the brave girl stepped forward and began to make her way down the passage...