C15

Me: hey Dad

Me: how are you doing?

Me: how's Mom?

Me: is everything okay?

Me: should I start panicking because I've called you more than twenty times and you didn't answer.

I exit the messaging app to try his number again. It rings for what seems like forever and still no answer from him. I head back to the chat box to drop yet another message. He's never done this before and I'm scared.

Me: pick up your phone or I'm going to spam you with dirty diaper gif. I mean it.

I groan and scroll up to the beginning of the one sided conversation. My dad wouldn't ghost me, he loves me too much to ignore me and the last message he sent before he went dark was 'i love you' so I'm sure it has nothing to with me. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing, he might have misplaced his phone or must be very busy with work.

Exiting the message app again, I click on my contact list and scroll until I find mom's number. I don't think I've ever called her when I'm not in trouble, but I have to do this. I click on her contact and dial her number. Her line is unreachable.

Fuck!

Me: I called Mom, you know how I hate to do that.

Me: you're probably busy with work, please call, I have some questions.

Me: love you.

I click the power button on my phone and drop it on the island. I place my elbow on the island and bury my face in my hands.

I'm so tired. I've been searching Google non stop to try to find anything I can about strange birds but I ended up with results about ravens, where I learned again that a group of ravens is called an unkindness or conspiracy, which seems fitting, since ravens are traditionally creepy. It makes great sense giving my middle name is Raven.

“Hey, Cami. What are ya doing alone?”

Is there seriously no one else in this place that can bother me? I'm in the staff's building for crying out loud and he still finds a way to get in.

“Go away, Roman.” I really need to be alone right now, and after our verbal spar earlier I'm surprised he came here.

The students and teachers are currently in the common room seeing a movie adaptation of Little Women. Apparently the school is currently working on school production of the book. Whatever, I'm glad because I need the quiet.

I hear him scoff before the scrapping sound of a stool being dragged comes. I raise my head to see him taking residence opposite me. I should have just gone to my room after making the pancakes. I wasn't feeling up to dining in the cafeteria with the rest of the school breathing down my neck like I killed their favorite pet. So I opt in for pancakes made by yours truly. The kitchen is actually pretty great.

“I mean, I could go away but no, I think I'll stay." His arrogant is just too much for me and he isn't even done talking. "Tell me about the sign you showed Mulligan.”

I should have known he was here to get information. How does he know about that anyway.

“How the fuck do you know about that? Have you been stalking me?” I won't be surprised, giving his past record of showing up at places he doesn't belong like Jessica's party.