Dancing with Deception (15)

Chapter 15

I was stuck between a hammer and an anvil.

Either I went on tour with the Prince, or disappointed the Queen by remaining behind; whatever choice I made would leave its mark, and my mood alternated between frustration and resignation at my options.

I couldn’t explain my reluctance in speaking to the Queen. After all, what did it really matter if she knew my opinion of her youngest son? It’s not as though I’d be anything more than an acquaintance to the future King. Really, I had no reason to try and impress her… and yet I wanted to.

It was a new feeling, one that I had been coming to experience more and more since living here; for once in my life I had something to lose. And worse, I actually cared if I lost it.

As much as I loathed the thought of saying no to her, wouldn’t it be far worse to suffer through several months of Prince Alexander’s infuriating company?

In truth, I wasn’t sure.

No matter that Prince Alexander had laid the trap, or that I’d be willfully stepping into it and handing him the shovel to bury me whole, somehow it seemed a less painful alternative then disappointing the one person who’d ever found reason to approve of me.

And yet… I’d been waiting for so long to be rid of him; it had been my only solace through all the frustration I’d endured. Now, to have that possibility snatched away like a rug pulled out from under my feet was torment I wasn’t prepared for.

I buried my face in my hands, feeling the start of a throbbing headache as my mind ran in circles incoherently. Every argument my mind flipped through felt flimsy and insubstantial, thought up only to fall flat seconds later.

It was only when I looked up to take a deep breath that I took note of my surroundings and remembered where I was.

Caught up in my thoughts as I was, it only now occurred to me that I was still rooted to the floor in Prince Alexander’s chambers, certainly not the most inspired of ideas.

I hardly needed him to return and find me still in here. The horror of that thought propelled me out of my stupor, and I quickly turned towards the door, heart racing from my sudden and desperate need to escape.

My hand paused on the doorknob as I realized with growing dread the rumors that would abound if anyone were to catch me leaving this room.

How could I have been so foolish as to come in here?

I knocked my head against the door, hoping it would jar me into some common sense. The problem was, being around Prince Alexander had the unique ability to send every rational thought and sense from my brain. 

With a sigh I turned my head to press my ear against the door, listening for any sounds in the hallway. Not hearing anything I steeled myself, hoping no one was silently passing by, and quickly slipped out.