Chapter Nine

Despite her reservations, Alex was enjoying her time in Tokyo with her new friends. After spending all day with them, they seemed to have a lot to offer in terms of friendship, which was something Alex always yearned for. The best part was, they treated her as an equal, even teasing her on occasion. It was actually refreshing to be treated as a regular person rather than as a celebrity.

At the end of a long day, Alex had seen a lot of the city, and was pretty worn out. She and the rest of the gang were now back at Yuri’s place. She and Aris got ready for bed, and as soon as her head hit the pillow, she fell fast asleep.

In the morning, Alex was late getting out of bed, which was unusual for her. This time, Aris even awoke before her. While still lying in bed, they both decided to chat before getting up and joining the others for breakfast.

“So today’s your big day — the first annual Alexandra Gray Day. Do you know how you want to celebrate it?”

“I honestly haven’t given it any thought.”

“Oh come on, Alex, people all around the world are throwing you a big party; it would be rude if you didn’t go.”

“I have no problem going and checking things out if that’s what everyone else wants to do.”

“Are you sure?”

“Do you think a lot of people will show up?”

“Of course! Alex, do you not realize how famous you are? Everywhere in the world, in every city, people of all ages will flock to the streets in celebration. Bands will perform, children will have their faces painted, there will be fireworks, balloons… and perhaps most importantly of all — there will be copious amounts of alcohol for us to consume.”

Alex let out a deep breath, subduing the burgeoning anxiety. “What could go wrong?” she asked rhetorically.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. We have our disguises and our fake names — it’ll be like we’re superheroes with secret identities!”

Alex stared at him with a blank expression.

“I was just thinking, wouldn’t it be crazy if you stood up in the middle of the crowd and revealed your identity? People would go nuts.”

“If people knew how much help I had, they’d be going nuts over you too, Aris.”

“Hey, I don’t mind if you tell them.”

“Believe me, it’s not worth it. You’re better off being able to blend in like you do.”

The two eventually stumbled out of bed and trotted downstairs to the kitchen. Yuri was eating alone, but had his robot Akino with him, awaiting orders.

“Good morning!” Yuri greeted with enthusiasm. “Happy Alexandra Gray Day — or in other words, Happy You Day!”

“Thanks.”

“It should be called Alex and Aris Day,” Aris said, “…I helped too.”

“Here, have a seat and let my slave bot serve you a special breakfast on your special day.”

Alex and Aris happily took their seats at the table, and Akino got to work right away.

“So, Alex, if you want to get started on the grinds, we can do that after you eat breakfast. I can even cut your hair while the transformations take effect.”

“How long will the so-called transformations take?” she asked.

“It’ll take no time at all. By the time I finish cutting your hair, you’ll officially be a grinder.”