Chapter Seven

The small squad entered the subway station and boarded a train headed to the Adachi district. The high-speed train rocketed through the underground tunnels and before long, they arrived at their destination. The closest station brought them only a block away from the river, so they all began to walk.

Tokyo at that time of year was hot, especially considering what Alex was wearing, but at least there was a slight breeze. She wore her typical going-out-in-public garb, which consisted of a full head wrap and large sunglasses. The rest of her skin was covered as well, but it was mostly with loose, flowing fabric.

Alex looked up at the calm blue sky and recalled the first time she set eyes on it. It had only been a year, but it seemed longer. She had matured so much since she graduated from the Facility. She was trying her best not to dwell on her past as she wanted to live some kind of normal existence, but it was hard when there were constant reminders at every turn.

“What’s with the silhouette?” Yuri asked, pointing out the international sign for Alex that seemed to be plastered all over the city.

“I’m not sure who came up with that design, or why it caught on, but I guess it’s a symbol of hope for a lot of people.”

“I think it’s cool,” Glitch said.

“It’s a good thing you didn’t save the world, Glitch, or else we’d have to look at your silhouette everywhere. People would be so confused, they’d be like, ‘What is this mushroom cloud supposed to represent? Are we at war again?’”

Taranya started laughing. It was the first time Alex saw another side of her. She was slowly coming out of her shell and displaying an emotion other than disdain. “Or else they’d be like, ‘Why does this pile of rocks have feet?’” Taranya said, joining in the teasing. “They’d think it was a hazard sign for falling boulders!”

“Whatever, it’d be better than both of your silhouettes. You two both have big heads and skinny bodies — people would think an alien invasion was coming,” Glitch shot back.

“Nice try, my friend. You need to work on your comebacks.”

Walking two abreast down the congested street, Link interjected to change the subject. “Aoki, there are some really nice parks around here too if you want a change of scenery.”

“Sure, I’m happy with whatever the group wants to do.”

“It’s been nice having you around, we never really get to hang out like this much anymore. We’re mostly just sitting in Yuri’s dark basement, or lab — whatever he insists on calling it.”

“How long have you guys known each other?”

“About a year.”

“Really?” Alex said in surprise. “How did you guys meet?”

“We met through a mutual friend,” Link said, keeping it simple and brief.

Alex was not the most street smart person, but she was beginning to pick up odd vibes from the group. They seemed reluctant to delve into their past. It was as if they were hiding something. She dismissed the idea as paranoia and continued to enjoy her time with them.

After the infamous bombing, which took place during World War III, the Adachi district was nothing more than a wasteland. On the north side of the Arakawa River was a tall cement wall covered in colourful murals, which obstructed the view of the ruins. It was a way to sweep the problem under the rug and allow people to live their lives without a constant reminder of the war looming over them. For some, it was an eye-sore — an ugly scar that defaced the great city. For others, it was a tourist attraction where daily tours took visitors across the river and beyond the wall.