Part 1 ~ A Dream

Caduceus was never an easily saddened individual. His life had taught him much of the balance of nature, The Wildmother had a purpose for everything. Life and Death all had to happen for there to be a balance. The sadness of some led to the joy of others and visa versa. There was no evil without a small glimmer of good and there was no good pure of evil ramifications. Such was life.

So, when immersed in sleep Caduceus found his dreams centered around a familiar grave, he wasn't saddened but instead rather happy to see the life that had grown since his last visit. New flowers, grasses, and mosses spotted the grave of Mollymauk Tealeaf, covering the scar in the earth like a soft green bandage as the earth reclaimed what was hers.

Caduceus knelt to the ground and reached out a gentle hand to run his fingers through the moss and grass. It flourished here where, just a bit below, the corpse of a missed friend lay. Caduceus had never met the tiefling but every so often he would gain some knowledge of the man either through a slip up by one of his new party or by a solemn conversation shared in the flickering embers of a campfire as his new friends relived old memories. There were times that either Jester or Caleb spoke so warmly as they reminisced over their lost friend that Caduceus felt that, if he closed his eyes, he knew the tiefling as well as those he was surrounded by. 

He knew that Mollymauk was a scar that would never heal for the Mighty Nein. He would always be in their worst nightmares and fondest dreams. He would follow them in memory as long as they lived, and all of them carried his death on their shoulders as a glad burden. He was a friend, and they would rather die a thousand deaths then forget him. Such loyalty was something that Caduceus found was only reserved for the best of people.

There were times when the firbolg wished he had met this "Molly". Wished that he too had seen his mischievous grin and heard his infectious laugh as the tiefling swindled someone or handed gold to thieves who, a moment earlier, had been trying to kill him. He wished he had met this tiefling whose life seemed to burn twice as bright but was snuffed out far too early.

As Caduceus placed a hand on the grave, he felt connected to the earth in this vivid dream and a strange urge came over him, one he gave in to.

"Your friends are doing alright," Caduceus told the grave. "They've gotten themselves into a few issues but they've been able to fight their way out. They still very much miss you and I see guilt in all of their eyes whenever you are mentioned. You may not think it, but I've never seen such a good thing. For them to mourn a friend so truly and mull over your death, which was no fault of theirs, just shows what good people they are and what good they can and will do in the future."

The wind blew softly in response, making the grasses above the grave shift and dance.

Caduceus looked up at the soft blue sky and smiled, marveling at the lucid dream that seems so very real.

"I'll watch out for them, as I should. It's my job to take care of them," the firbolg assured the grave, keeping his soft eyes on the white clouds ahead which drifted in the bright sea of blue above.

There was no response but Caduceus smiled softly to himself.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

When he awoke the next morning, he allowed himself a small smile as the smell of dirt and grass left his senses. He slowly sat up and looked over the group sleeping at the campfire's side. Fjord and Yasha stood watch, and when he stirred they both looked to him.

"Mornin'," Fjord greeted with a smile.

Caduceus looked to the horizon and indeed saw that the sky was beginning to lighten with the pale light of sunlight.