Chapter 1

I woke up early today and after getting ready I head to school. I'm the first of my friend group to arrive. While waiting for the others I play on my phone. 

"You don't have a zero period. Why are you here so early?" a girl asks. Her name is Britney Cole and she's a friend. She's short and small. Her dark brown hair is short with tight curls that frame her round face perfectly. Her dark skin is nearly flawless. She has a beauty mark on her cheek. Today she's wearing a light grey hoodie and black skinny jeans with combat boots. We have the same sense of humor and text each other often. Mostly random thoughts and questions, memes or things about school. 

We really only talk in the halls, through texting or during class though. She sat with me and the guys a few times during lunch but she's usually with her own friends. We have second period together and sit right next to each other. We aren't exactly close but we're friends. When I first met her I could see that she's kind, overachieving, smart, but carefree at the same time. She's not one to take people's bullshit either.

"Neither do you. What's your reason?" I ask in response. She explains that she walks with her friend who does have zero period. I tell her that I just decided to get here early. 

"You're so weird," she says sitting next to me. 

"Thanks," I respond smiling. 

"Can I ask you a question?" she asks. I nod and she looks around to make sure we're alone. 

"You're friends with Darren Lucas right? Is he single?" she asks hopefully. 

"You're into Darren?" I ask in response. 

"Maybe," she says. 

"Yeah. He's single. Want me to see if he's interested?" I say and she nods. When I agree to talk to him she hugs me and tells me that I'm the best. I smile and look up as I sense Darren's soul getting closer. A black SUV pulls up and he gets out. He says something to the driver and shuts the door. He waits for the SUV to leave before turning towards the school. When he sees me he smiles softly and makes his way over to me. 

"Morning Virge," he says when he reaches me. 

"Morning. This is Britney. She's a friend," I say introducing her. His smile gets bigger and holds out his hand to shake hers. 

"Nice to meet you," he says and she smiles. 

"You too. I'll see you guys around," she says pushing her hair behind her ear and walking away.

Darren watches her walk away and I can see that he's attracted to her. 

"She's pretty right?" I ask, catching his attention. 

"Yeah she is. Seriously doubt a girl like that is single though. Or that I'd have a chance," he says looking at me. 

"Wrong. She's single and already into you," I say looking down at my phone. 

"S-She is?" he asks surprised. 

"Go make your move," I say glancing up at him and then over at her. He smiles and says he'll see me later. 

I look back at my phone but pick up on a dangerous aura inside the school using Soul Search. Concerned I make my way inside to where it's coming from. The front office. When I get there I find a guy my age talking to the principal. His jet black hair is wild and he's wearing black skinny jeans, a dark grey shirt and leather jacket. When he looks around I catch a glimpse of his ice cold blue eyes which stand out against his pale skin.

"Mr. Crane. This is Joey Mays. He's a new student. Would you mind showing him around school?" Principal Patel asks. I want to say no but the look my principal gives me tells me I shouldn't.