A Good Angel Can Go To Hell

Chapter 25 -

Why did I let this get out of hand?

I wasn't quite sure what was about to happen to me. Robert was being zero help. In that moment, I didn't know what I was feeling. Helplessness maybe? I don't know. It was hard to explain something I didn't understand.

Then, without any warning, a darkness took over. It was almost as if the curse had finally ran its course and swallowed me whole. I couldn't even fight. There was too much of it, too little of me. Like a giant black hole had opened up and I'd fallen in. It kind of reminded me of when I'd fallen into the Devil's Soupbowl, only way worse. Because I'd managed to escape from that watery prison. But escape from this...this overwhelming darkness? Not so much.

In other words, I was officially screwed.

"Chaos!" Robert closed the small distance between us and caught me in his arms. He cupped the back of my head with one hand and eased me onto the floor, snapping his fingers in my face. "Stay with me now. Look at me."

I tried, but he was all fuzzy.

"Listen to the sound of my voice and stay with me." he insisted. "There's not much time. Once the curse has consumed you, it opens up a portal. Think of it like the Gates of Hell."

I didn't have to imagine it. I was literally in hell. At least, part of me was anyway. This made the Pearly Gates look more like a picket fence.

It was a place of complete torment and utter agony. I mean, I could still hear and I was aware of my surroundings, but everything was so distant. So far away. It's not like they describe it in movies. Hell, I mean. Don't get me wrong, hell is hot. It's very, very hot. But there was no Lake of Fire. At least, not as far as I could tell. Everything was orange like it was glowing from heat and the ground was covered in molten rocks that were thousands of degrees hot. Not only that, but there was no escape from thirst. A kind of urgent thirst that made it hard to barely breathe, let alone think.

It felt like I was on the verge of going insane.

Lucifer must have been lonely. Everywhere I looked I saw people suffering and in torment along with him. It's like they finally understood that all of God's love, mercy and grace was gone. That while they were on earth, He loved them. That they, ah...I mean we lived in paradise compared to hell. He gave us everything we needed to be happy. Everything we needed to be safe. He protected us like a Father protects a child. But because we didn't heed His warnings, now we were forced to pay the consequences for all of eternity. I remembered from Bible school that one day hell would actually be cast into the Lake of Fire. So, as bad as this was, it was going to get a whole hell of a lot worse. Don't say I didn't warn ya.

No wonder Lisette wanted me to save her father.

I used to think that only bad people and bad angels went to hell. Now, with the help of Lisette's curse, I finally understood that a good angel can too. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. Go straight to hell.

My heart beat wildly against my chest with the need to escape. I grabbed onto Robert's shirt with all of my might. "Whatever you're going to do to me, do it now."

Reaching behind his back, he brought something to his lips and kissed it. A cross maybe? I couldn't see what the object was. All I could see clearly was Robert's silvery brown eyes and the way he looked at me so fiercely.

"Wait," I cried, feeling more than a little scared in my current angel-in-crisis situation. "Is this going to work?"

He raised his arm in the air, his gaze going from fierce to clouded with worry. "I don't know. Maybe."

Maybe?

That was good enough for me. It's not like I had time to debate my odds. Besides, if he didn't hurry there wasn't going to be anything left of me to save. Wrapping my hand firmly around his wrist, I knew whatever happened we would face it together.