The Prayer

Chapter 17 - The Prayer

I woke up to find myself on a large bed in what could only be described as the royal bedchamber. Or something a hellavalot close to it. Except, this time, I was snuggled under the warmth of a ruby red down-filled comforter instead of lying on top of the covers like in my dream. The lush, decadent bed was extraordinarily appointed with satiny rolled pillows and drenched in rich, crimson velvet drapes that hung suspended from a round, heavily fringed canopy that was easily over 18 feet high.

When it came to beds, I guess the bigger and plushier the better. At least to the Victorians, anyway.

If only for a moment, I wasn't reminded of the awful effects of the curse. Especially when I found myself completely surrounded by many artful displays of freshly cut red roses. Soft music filled the entire bedchamber, while lightly scented candles placed on every dresser and tabletop gave off a rosy glow. Part of me, a really, really big part thought I'd died and gone back to Heaven.

I turned my head to find Vycandor sitting beside me on the grand bed with his head bowed. As soon as he knew I was awake, he began to sing the same words over and over to the delicate violin music that played in the background until I'd committed them to memory.

"I pray you'll be our eyes
And watch us where we go
And help us to be wise
In times when we don't know

Let this be our prayer
When we lose our way
Lead us to a place
Guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe."

I sat up, or attempted to anyway. "That's beautiful. Did you write it?"

He smiled at me, but not like he was happy. "No. It's from a song called, The Prayer." Placing an icy hand upon my shoulder, he gently tried to ease me to lie back down. "You need to rest."

I shook my head. "No. I'm fine. Really."

"Like diet and exercise," he said, voice insistent, "good, quality sleep is essential for optimal health and performance. Even if you are an angel."

"You sound like a Sleep Number commercial," I groaned.

That made him smile. For real this time. "Well, it's true."

I gazed around the room and frowned. "Where's Thomas?"

"He went to talk to the King about Robert."

Finally making it to a relatively seated position more or less, I had to ask, although I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to know the answer. "What does Thomas want to know about Robert? Isn't it enough that he's the only one who can help me now?"

Hands curling into fists, Vycandor's entire body visibly stiffened. "Look, Chaos. There's something about Robert you don't know."

I raised an eyebrow at that. "Correction, there's a lot about Robert I don't know. I haven't met him yet, remember?"

He heaved a sigh. "And I'm not entirely sure you'll want to. Not after you've heard the truth about him. He's extremely dangerous."

"Dangerous?" I repeated. "Exactly how is he dangerous?"

"For once, just once, can you please trust me on this?" I could tell by the tone of his voice that he was running out of patience me. Unfortunately for him, I don't give up that easily. 

"Aw, c'mon! Gimme a clue. Just one. Is he dangerous like Professor Plum in the Library with the knife? Or maybe he's dangerous like Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the lead pipe." I paused, pretending to think. "No, wait. I bet he's dangerous like Miss Scarlett in the Ballroom with the candlestick."