I'm the Bad Guy

Chapter 13

Thomas and Vycandor took turns glancing over their broad shoulders at me as if to make sure I was still following them.

I was, but I wasn't even close to being happy about it.

My glare must have spoke volumes because Sean suddenly untangled himself from two of the swan maidens and hung back to fall into step beside me.

"You're awfully quiet back here," he began. "Aren't you enjoying the sights?"

It was obvious he took his job as tour master seriously, but his efforts were being wasted on me. He just didn't know it yet. Especially when an unexpected breeze caught me off guard. I tipped my head back to sniff a rush of warm air that set my body tingling from my head to my toes. I swear, the tantalizing aroma of roast duck permeated the entire island. Or maybe it was just his cologne. Either way the smell was driving me nuts and making me even crankier than normal.

I used my sleeve to wipe the drool out of the corner of my mouth before responding, hoping beyond hope that he didn't notice the visions of giant drumsticks dancing in my head. "I'm fine. I actually enjoy getting ghosted, zombied, and mermaided by both my boyfriends."

Sean smiled at me sheepishly. "You sound like a dating commercial." Without waiting for me to reply he drew closer as if we were sharing a delicious secret. "I don't mean to pry, but isn't it customary for humans to date one person at a time?"

I shot him a cool look, voice heavy with sarcasm. "Normally yes, but Lisette's curse has made that impossible."

His face lit up with understanding. "We are all cursed in one way or another. Some more than others. Shapeshifting is not just limited to the wolf or vampire, as made popular by  your modern literature. The transformation actually serves many purposes, such as competing in challenges, escaping danger, or exacting punishment. Not only that, but it also plays an important part in reincarnation. Surely your curse to bear is not so permanent."

I couldn't tell if he was asking me, or telling me. Truth be told, I wasn't exactly sure how much he knew about me, but there was definitely something about Sean that made me want to spill my guts. Not all my secrets, only some. "Just so you're aware, I didn't ask to be brought here."

"Then why did you come?"

I threw my arms up in the air. "I don't know. A cure maybe? Something, anything to take the edge off. Otherwise I'm seriously going to break. I know it. How am I supposed to, uh...I mean how does she expect me to..." I pointed to Thomas and Vycandor, vaguely aware that I was babbling uncontrollably. "Like they're a couple of milk cartons from lunch and I'm just supposed to rip them open and drink them together?" 

Sean nodded, dark eyes filled with pity. "From the moments that threaten to break us, come the moments that define us."

"Yeah, except I don't want to be remembered as the girl who chose to fall in love with two guys and starved to death for her trouble."

"How exactly did you choose them?" Sean asked.

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm not quite up to reviewing my process at the moment. So let's just go find this King of yours and get this over with, shall we?"

"I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of meeting someone so devastatingly honest before." He paused to smile. "For a human being, I mean. Why do you think that is?"

"Just talented, I suppose." My returning smile didn't feel the least bit weird. "And why do you have to be so ding-dang delicious looking? Honest to Pete, I could just eat you alive." He stared at me as if he didn't believe me. "No, seriously. I really could."