27

Standing at Keri's front door, she held Cookie close to her chest. Cookie's eyes were closed as she fell into a deep sleep.

"Um, so I wanted to ask you something," Keri began. Cam tilted his head, becoming more interested in what she was saying. "Rebecca is having a party tomorrow and I wanted us to go together...as a couple."

Cam looked away from her, leaned on the door, and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"I don't know."

Keri nodded her head. It was no surprise he didn't want to go near Rebecca, considering she was the one who technically stole Keri away from him.

"I just wanted her to know that we were together and introduce the two of you," she shrugged a shoulder as her eyes fell to the pavement.

He sighed and leaned forward, slipping one finger through Keri's beltloop, tugging her closer. "I'll think about it," he pressed his lips against hers.

She watched him walk down the pathway to her house. When he turned around, she gave a small wave and a bashful smile.

Everything in her life was finally falling into place.

The next evening, Keri stepped into her best friend's house. It was already filled with people inside and in the backyard. A typical Rebecca Roberts party.

She adjusted her strapless body con dress, that resembled the color the lower part of a flame, and checked her makeup through the camera in her phone.

Rebecca always had a theme, and this party was red, white, and blue in honor of the upcoming Independence day.

Her Jimmy Choo shoes were a size too small, making every step painful. Whatever. At least she looked fabulous.

The house was deluged with high schoolers and college kids from the area. People bumped into her and she made her way through the crowd, searching for Rebecca.

"Kay!" Keri heard her name being shouted through the loud music and chatter. Whipping around, she found Rebecca grinning at her. "Gorgeous as always," she leaned in for a hug.

"Hey," Keri smiled, a little unfocused. She was searching the room for Cam, since he sent her a text earlier, saying that he would come.

"I want you to meet someone," a devious grin slipped onto Rebecca's lips, pulling her through the crowd.

Keri had planned on telling Rebecca about her new relationship once Cam arrived, but she didn't see him anywhere.

Where was he?

"This is Curtis, the guy I was telling you about," Rebecca introduced. The girls stood in front of a blonde, muscular, green-eyed boy, who was grinning as he looked Keri up and down.

Normally, Keri would have felt satisfied with the idea of a cute guy checking her out. But in this case, she felt repulsed. She didn't want anyone looking at her like that, except for her boyfriend, who showed her more respect than that.

"Actually, I kind of wanted to talk to you about something," Keri whispered to Rebecca. "I-" She was unable to finish her sentence because of the cold liquid that was splashed all over her. Letting out a gasp, she whipped around, discovering a brunette with a horrified face.

"I-I-I'm sorry," the girl sputtered. The old Keri would have screamed at her and made her pay for her dress. Instead, Keri was still disorientated about Cam not showing up yet.

"Um, it's fine," Keri mumbled.

Rebecca shot the girl a dirty look before grabbing Keri's arm, pulling her away from Curtis.

"That didn't go as planned," Rebecca said over the music. "Just go get something from my closet."

"Um...okay," she agreed. "But if you see Cam, can you tell him where I am?" She asked before climbing up the stairs and reaching Rebecca's room.

Thumbing through the dresses in Rebecca's closet, Keri finally picked a royal blue dress with short sleeves and a deep v-neck. She began to unzip the zipper to her dress, that was placed from her cleavage to the bottom of her braline, but it got stuck.

Sighing, she sat down on Rebecca's mattress and pulled out her phone. Of course, there were no texts from Cam.

She shouldn't have invited him. She knew that he wouldn't want to come because of Rebecca. She was setting herself up for disappointment.

Glancing up, she saw Jason, Rebecca's older brother, stepping into the room.

"Oh, sorry. I just came in here to get a charger," he said, walking to Rebecca's nightstand.

"It's fine," she let out a deep breath.

He stopped for a moment, watching her, with the charger in his hand.

"Everything all right?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. It's just this stupid zipper," she ran her hands through her hair. Although, It was more than just a stupid zipper.

"Is it stuck?" Jason took a seat next to Keri, putting the cord down.

"Yeah."

Keri wanted nothing more than to see Cam. She missed him and it hadn't even been a full day since the last time she saw him. When did she turn into this super needy girlfriend?

Jason's fingers gently clasped around the zipper on the front of her dress, tugging at it until it began to slide down. Keri's cheeks blazed because most of her chest was exposed.

"Uh, thanks," her voice sounded small.

"Anytime," a soft grin appeared on his face.

His eyes glanced down to her lips. Before Keri could figure out what was happening, she felt Jason's mouth on her's and his hand on her thigh.

Pulling away, her lips pulsed and her heart was pounding. She was about to say something until she followed Jason's gaze and looked at the door, finding someone standing there.