Tell Me A Lie

I’m fading. I’m broken inside. I’m strong. I’m complete.

 I’m curled up, crying on the floor. The rain outside is as relentless as the tears falling from my eyes. I welcome him with open arms, and he embraces me whole heartily.

No one to consult, no one to help me. No one. He was there to comfort me. He protected me.

I’m not good enough for you. I never was, I never will be.  I’m perfect. In every way. There’s nothing he would change about me.

The only words that come out of your mouth are just to remind me of how I am failing you. I am never the perfect girlfriend you want me to be. I am never, in your eyes, good enough. He compliments me every chance he gets, and loves the little things I do. We are a puzzle, completing each other to create a beautiful image. 

You yell at my mistakes. You scream at my imperfections. You remind me everyday why I can never live up to your expectations. . Even when I annoy him, he still says I complete him. He sees me and all my flaws, yet still loves me.

You tell me I never listen. You tell me I can never reach my goals because I am indolent. Every word that escapes his lips builds me up like a sky scraper. According to him, I never give up for the things I love.

You tell me all these lies, but since I loved you, I believed you. He told me the truth, but since I was trapped, I could only dream.

Every word, every insult, every lie you fed me, I believed, and hated myself. Every word, every breath, every thought he told me, made me believe that maybe I was better. I tried to see from his view.

All I wanted was to be that perfect girl you were proud of, but I wasn’t. I never will be. I will always hate myself because of you. He could never ask for more. Even when I made mistakes, he never stopped loving me. He tried to shield me from your hate.

I try to hold back the tears that never seem to stop. The sparkle never leaves my eyes and the smile never fades whenever he’s around.

The wounds that never seem to heal, always reopening at your words. He healed my cuts, at an attempt to fix me .

I tried to hold your hand, but you shy away from my touch, too disgusted. He always waited with open arms. Always waited for me, whenever I need help.   

All of this pain is so real, and you did nothing to stop it. You encourage it. And I listen. He did his best to protect me from your lashes, taking the scars for me. He built a wall around me, allowing reality to take president.

So Tell me another lie. I finally see the truth.