Moving On

My eyes flew open, and i sat up quickly. I was immediately assaulted with a stabbing head ache that forced me to lay back down. My stomach churned, and i couldn't think straight. I tried to remember last night but my memory was too foggy. Nothing made sense to me at the moment.

I quickly summoned the will to roll out of bed and stand up. My feet hit the cold ground, the feeling slowly returning to my legs. I took two tentative steps before i was sure that i could support my own weight.

I started to drag my feet across the floor, when i stepped on something sharp cutting my foot. I jumped backwards, causing my head to swim. I focused on my foot trying to see where the cut was, but i wasn't bleeding. Must have been a shallow cut.

On the floor was the remains of a broken glass. After examining it closely, i figured out it was the remnants of a vodka bottle.

I raised the bottle to my lips and finished the last of the bottle. Anger controlled me momentarily and i threw the bottle on the ground, the parts flying everywhere. A few more tears fell from my eyes. I shook my head, and ran over to the draw. I pulled open the door, spilling all the contents onto the floor. After rummaging through some papers and knick-knacks, i found it.

I blinked several times. I tried to remember more of last night but nothing came to me. After shrugging my shoulders and taking a deep breath, i started to get ready. I opened my closet to pull out a shirt but it was completely empty. Not a single shirt on a hanger or shoe on the floor. Now that i think about it, there wasn't even a cobweb in a corner or piece of dust anywhere. It was completely clean.

I was definitely going to bring this up with my parents. How could they just clean out my closet like that? I trudged over to my dresser to wear a t-shirt, but found out that every single drawer had be cleaned out too. What the hell was going on?

I stormed downstairs ready to give my parents a piece of my mind.

"Mom! Dad! Where are you!" i yelled from the landing. No response.

I continued down to the kitchen where i found Katie, my little sister crying at the table.

"Katie, what’s up? Do you know where mom and dad are?" I asked, barely concerned with her. She was always trying to pull one over on our parents just for attention. 

She didn't reply. Or even look up for that matter. 

"Fine if you want to ignore me, then i'll ignore you." I seethed, my whole day, all 10 minutes of it, was pretty shitty, and my now my family was just making it worse. 

"Honey, i have to go now. Please behave for your father. I will....i will meet you at the....funeral" My mom called from the front door. She was choking up and her last words turned into sobs.

"Wait, mom!" I yelled, running to the front door.

I wasn't quick enough. She was already in her car and driving away by the time i reached front door. I stood looking out of the glass panes at her figure in the car. She was slumped forward and shaking. I think she was crying, but because of the car's tinted windows, i couldn’t exactly tell.

I made my way back to the kitchen, even though i wasn't remotely hungry. I propelled myself onto the counter, my favorite place to sit even though my dad hated when i did. I pushed a napkin dispenser out of the way to i could prop my feet up on the adjacent counter. When i did i accidentally tapped the knife set.

I found it. I pulled out a knife from my drawer. I didn't hesitate to bring the tip of the blade to my wrist. I dragged it up my arm, relishing the pain that blossomed along with the line of deep red blood. i continued slashing at my arms until an array of scars began forming, tracing all the major veins in my arm. I didn't bother to clean up the blood. Who cares? I know i don't. And he sure didn't.