Chapter 9 - Rescue

⚠SPOILER AUTHOR'S NOTE⚠

Just a heads-up, Sir Nighteye is alive in this fanfic. I didn't know that when I first created this chapter, but thanks to a comment, I got spoiled. So, he's alive in my book.

-·=»‡«=·-·=»‡«=·-

Todoroki woke in a dark room, his head pounding and ear stinging. Adjacent from him was Midoriya, who was chained to the bed by his wrist, laying on the ground and sleeping with tears in his eyes. He was trembling in both fear and from the cold concrete floor, the chains rattling as his arms were tucked into his shirt.

"I-Izuku...?" Todoroki called, his voice quiet and scratchy as he slowly crawled towards Midoriya, but a chain to his ankles kept him inches away from the greenette. "Izuku!"

Midoriya jolted awake, his arms exiting through the armholes as he noticed Todoroki, fresh warm tears falling, "Shocchan!! You're okay!!" He dove at Todoroki, his cottontail wagging vigorously at the sight of his best friend safe.

Todoroki returned the embrace, the chains rattling to his movements, "I'm happy you're okay, too. Did that lady hurt you?" He retracted from the hug, checking for any injuries, finding bruises and deep cuts littering Midoriya's body. "She hurt you, too..." Todoroki began to cry, his ears flat. "I-I'm so scared, Izuku. I want to see Bakugo..."

Midoriya hugged the cat hybrid, noticing cuts on him, as well, "Kacchan will come, so please don't cry! W-We just have to stay strong for him! Like we were as Pro Heroes!"

Todoroki wiped his tears, "Y-Yeah!" He felt the greenette peck him on the cheek.

"My mom always kisses me when I'm sad, so smile, okay? We'll get through this together!" Midoriya beamed, a large smile on his freckled cheeks.

Todoroki smiled through his tears, "Yeah! Bakugo will save us!"

***

Bakugo waited anxiously, tapping his foot aggressively on the asphalt as the roads began flooding with people, All Might greeting pedestrians and signing autographs with a large smile. Aizawa and Kirishima stood on either side of Bakugo away from the crowd, not wanting to draw attention as Hawks took Sir Nighteye to the top of a building overlooking the busy roads of the Lights Festival. Bakugo was nervous, breaking into a cold sweat as his earpiece beeped.

"All units in position. How's the observation of the battlefield, Ground Zero? Over." Hawks asked, a click indicating he was listening.

Bakugo rolled his eyes, pressing on the earpiece, "This isn't a military offense mission, Takami. We're simply trying to get Sir Nighteye close to Toga. Everything's fine below, the crowd is well-distracted by All Might and Alien Queen. How's the view? Any suspicious activity?"

There was no answer.

"Hawks?"

"You didn't say 'over.'"

Bakugo growled, "Do you see any suspicious activity? Over!"

"Not as far as I can tell! Sir Nighteye and I are watching closely, but nothing is out of the ordinary. We'll inform you if we see anything suspicious. Over."

Bakugo sighed, "Alright."

"Roger."

"What?"

"You have to say 'Roger' when ending a conversation! It sounds professional!"

The ash-blond nearly blew a gasket, "Shut it, Chicken! I'm not saying that!" Bakugo removed his finger from the earpiece, growling low in his throat as he watched the bustling crowd. Aizawa was well hidden in his black Hero costume, only able to see his skin and capture weapon. Kirishima had on his Hero costume, as well, but he was well-distracted from a group of fangirls.