Chapter 6

Sodapop's POV:

I woke up to the sound of a knock on my door the next morning. I slowly rolled over on my back from being curled up and began rubbing my eyes.

"Come in," I called. The door slowly opened.

"Good morning, Sodapop, how are you feeling?" the nurse asked.

"Good, Patty, thank you," I smiled softly back at her. She came over to the bed and began to fluff the pillows behind the one I had been laying on.

"Do you want me to open the curtains? It seems as though you haven't had any sunlight ever since before you came here," Patty joked.

"Oh, no thank you, Patty, I'm okay," I laughed. I looked from her to the door and noticed Darry poking his head in. I jumped.

"Oh, Darry, you scared me," I giggled.

"Sorry, little buddy," he smiled. "How are you?"

"Good," I responded. "Patty is just fixing my pillows for me." I gave him a small grin.

Patty looked up from the pillows to Darry and smiled, giving him a small wave. Darry waved back.

"Alright," Darry chuckled. "I have a surprise for you," he winked and stepped in. Steve followed in behind him.

"Steve?" I asked in shock. Patty moved closer to the window.

"Hey, man," he grinned, "what's up?"

"Steve, oh my god!" I said excitedly, smiling big. He smiled back and rushed to give me a hug.

"Hey, hey!" Darry called. "Relax, he's still not in tip top shape, you know."

Both Steve and I laughed, but Darry didn't stop us from hugging though.

"Good news is that he'll be able to go back home today," Patty smiled. "But yes, he is right, precautions still have to be taken." She proceeded to leave the room and Darry moved from the doorway to the chair he sat at on Saturday night.

Steve and I pulled away and smiled at each other. We gave each other another hug.

"Man, I'm so glad to see you!" I mumbled into his shoulder.

"Me too, Soda, I didn't think I'd be able to come," Steve said, pulling out of the hug. A tear was rolling down his check.

"Aw, man, don't cry," I whispered, reaching up to wipe his tears.

"I'm sorry I didn't come earlier, I just couldn't," Steve began to explain.

"It's okay, I understand," I said softly, smiling at him. "Don't worry about it, okay? You're here now and that's all that matters." He nodded and pulled away.

"How's Pony doing, Darry?" I asked, turning to look at him.

He'd been staring at the floor and fiddling with his nails. He then quickly looked up at me.

"He's doing good," Darry responded. "He'll be real glad to know you're coming home." He gave me a soft smile.

"I know. It'll be even better because it's a surprise. I know he loves those," I say with a small smile, adjusting myself in the bed.