Chapter 1

Darrel's POV:

The sky was full of stars tonight, all scattered around like white freckles. The moon was in the center of my view, standing out big and bright from all of the stars and faint clouds that filled the sky. Today was a rough day at work, it's been like that for a while. On top of that, I have to worry about some girl in the house every night. It gets annoying, especially since I like to come home and spend time with the boys.

After about 10 minutes, I pulled into our driveway. I grabbed my stuff from the passenger side of the car, locked the doors, and walked up the porch. I was able to see the shadow of two people sitting on the couch through the blinds. I rolled my eyes and sighed as I unlocked the door. The two faces turned around and stared at me.

"Hey, Soda," I said, putting a small grin on my face and nodding, "Marty."

"Hey, Darry," Sodapop said, jumping from the couch, "I'll be back, Marty, don't change the TV." Marty looks up at him and nods.

I looked to the TV and saw that they were watching some cowboy movie. I put my stuff down next to the armchair and followed Sodapop into the kitchen. He began washing the big pile of dishes in the sink.

"Really? In the living room?" I asked him.

"We we're doing nothing, come on, Darry," Sodapop responded.

Unbelievable, I thought.

"Where's Pony?" I asked, putting the leftover chocolate cake in the icebox.

"In our room," Sodapop answered. He then turned the water off and went back to the living room. I knocked on the door of his room.

"Yeah?" Ponyboy asked from the other side of the door. I opened it and leaned on the door's arch.

"Hey, little buddy, what're you up to?" I asked him. He was sitting at his desk by the window. A few sheets of paper and his pen were laid out in front of him.

"Nothing much, I'm writing a poem," Ponyboy responded and I could tell he was thinking about something.

"That's cool, what about?" I asked.

"Um, I'm thinking about giving it to a girl," he said, "I've liked her for some time now, I was thinking it'd be nice to tell her with a poem, you know, something different than all the other guys."

"That's really nice, Pony," I gave him a small grin, "I think she'll really enjoy that. Don't be nervous, okay? You let me know all about it once you give it to her." I gave him a little wink. He giggled.

"Okay, I will Darry, thank you," he said.

I turned around and closed the door. I looked through the arch of the kitchen into the living room. Sodapop was fixing up the couch and turning off the TV.

"Marty left?" I asked him.

"No, she's making out with me on the couch," he responded with attitude, walking away to the bathroom and not looking up at me. I felt caught off guard.

"That comment wasn't needed, you know," I said as I followed him to the bathroom, "Listen, I don't like this new attitude you have now that you've been dating Marty. Things don't change just because you get a girlfriend. Just a few months ago you were crying because of everything with Pony and me, even you and Sandy."