Chapter 2

Darrel's POV:

I woke up the next morning to the birds chirping outside. I sat up straight and looked to see that Ponyboy was still sleeping on the couch. I rubbed my eyes, looking over to the clock to check the time. It was 6:30, the sun was starting to rise. Today was Saturday so I didn't have to go into work. It didn't sound like Sodapop was up. He should've been up though, he had to go to the DX Station today.

I got up and started walking to his room. The door was still closed from last night. I knocked gently.

"Sodapop?" I called, "Are you up?"

"Yeah, Darry," he said. I nodded and went to the restroom. I brushed my teeth and fixed my hair. Then, I went to the kitchen and took out the leftover chocolate cake. I began cutting myself a piece.

Sodapop came out of his room, still wearing his underwear and a t-shirt.

"Why aren't you dressed?" I asked, "It's 6:30, you're going to be late."

"I'm not going in," Sodapop said. He reached for the cake and took the last slice.

"Cut that in half and share some with Pony. And why aren't you going in?" I asked, walking to the living room to sit in the armchair.

"I don't feel like it today," Sodapop said, "Steve isn't going either. He called last night and asked if I wanted to go to a drag race and I said yeah."

"Alright, you can spare a day. Don't make it a habit," I told him. He went back to his room and closed the door.

I turned the TV on and watched the news. I started thinking about last night again. In a sense, I felt bad for kicking Marty out. I felt bad for not being happy for Sodapop because he has a girlfriend. But, at the same time, all of the possibilities that I don't want to happen popped into mind. It made me feel better for the decisions I made yesterday.

I heard ruffling and turned my attention to the couch. Ponyboy was waking up.

"Any phone call?" He asked. I chuckled.

"No, little buddy, it's 6:45. No one's calling you this early in the morning," I told him. He laid back down and started staring at the ceiling. I started watching the TV again. There was a moment of silence.

"You know, Darry," Ponyboy started, "I don't know if you should've done what you did last night."

I looked at him funny, "What do you mean?"

"You making such a big deal out of Marty being here all the time."

"But, don't you not like that either?" I asked him. I found it weird why he was saying something like that."

"I know I don't, but I leave it alone. I've accepted the fact already that's it's going to happen, and no matter what, she's always going to be in the way. She's going to be more important to Soda than us. It's just become that way." Ponyboy said.

"Yeah, but it's still not okay that he's letting it happen, Pony. The relationship can turn into something that isn't going to be good. I don't need another big problem right now." I said.

"I know. I don't want to witness one either. But," Ponyboy turned to me, "he's built up a lot with her because of Sandy. He believes that she's not going to do the same thing that Sandy did. She's told him stuff."

I put the empty plate down on the floor next to the armchair, "Like what?"

"I don't know, but I know Marty has told him stuff. And he believes it. Why do you think his attitude has changed so much?" Ponyboy sat up, fixing his hair.