Part X

"Wha... what did you say?"

Orion heard the Queen perfectly well, he just couldn't believe what he was hearing.
"It's the only way. You know I wouldn't ask if I had any other choice. You kill her and the nightmare is finally over," Eleanor's voiced quivered with hopeful desperation.

"El, that is outright murder," whispered Orion. The Queen could tell the Huntsman was struggling with this. "We've both taken many a life in our time," replied Eleanor, raising her eyebrow, "When she goes on her nightly walk, an accident could befall her. I'll be with Floran, nobody knows about you and I. It's the perfect cover."

"She's just a girl, a mad girl, no doubt. What has she done? What, without a shadow of a doubt has she done? What have you seen with your own eyes?" demanded Orion, wanting to bring an end to this insanity.

"Why just before I got here, she accosted me in my room, she said she wanted to get her hands on my son, my fortune and my kingdom," said the Queen, holding back tears, "she also upset my dearest dog Edward." Orion studied Eleanor's face - she was telling the truth.

The Huntsman pondered for a moment. He walked over to the window and looked out.

"An axe to the chest then I'll throw her to the wild boars, nobody would ever know," he said with a professional dignity. Eleanor, closed her eyes and exhaled with quiet relief. "You'll say you heard screams of a woman, but by the time you tracked her down it was too late," finished the Queen.

Orion turned around from the window, resting against the sill, to face Eleanor.

"Tomorrow evening. I'll stay in with the Cleric and Floran, you dispose of Snow, then run to the castle to alert us of the horrible tragedy that has befallen our guest," conspired El.

"El are you really sure? She's just a girl," said Orion apologetically, still struggling at the thought "No, she's not," laughed the Queen. Eleanor walked over to the front door. Turning the handle, she looked back to handsome lover.

"I'm surprised at you Orion. Don't let her pull the wool over your eyes, too," said Eleanor, defiantly slamming the door.

* * *

At the breakfast table, Snow and Floran ate in complete silence. Unable to bear it any longer, Floran decided to break the silence.

"I'm helping the grand cleric today," announced Floran. "How proper," replied Snow curtly, continuing to eat. "Have you got any plans for today?" asked Floran. "Yes," replied Snow. "Such as... ?" prompted Floran.

Snow stopped eating, placing her knife and fork down on her dish. "It doesn't feel right to tell you of my plans, since I have been demoted to a mere acquaintance," said Snow with a sting of indignance.

"There's no need to be like that," said Floran. "Like what?" asked Snow, rhetorically, "I'm simply honouring your wish as to not burden you with the ongoings of my life. Now if you'll excuse me. No need to stand."

Snow stood up and left. Floran remained seated.

* * *

The Grand Cleric and Floran each held one end of the altar's cloth. Starting in the middle, they spread the cloth out to the edges of the altar, a golden tassel hanging at each corner. The Castle's Ball room had begun its transformation for the Dwarf's Remembrance Service.

"You know what the saddest thing about all of this is," asked the Cleric, clearly about to give the answer, "They had nobody to share their lives with."

"That's not true, they had each other," responded Floran, curious about the Cleric's phrasing. "Of course you are correct Prince Florin and such a blessing it was to have six friends so close," said the Cleric, adjusting one of the cloths. He took a breath, trying to figure out how to get his message across, "Closeness with friends and family is one thing, but closeness with someone special is an entirely different kind of fulfillment."