Part XIX

"Here, you dwarfs - remove that dead body immediately," instructed Talbot, snapping his fingers at the dwarfs. The dwarfs looked at the lifeless body of Roland, lying in a large pool of blood. They looked at one another hoping someone else would volunteer. No volunteers. "I'll do it," said Orion. The Huntsman casually walked over to Roland's lifeless body, flipped him over, grabbed his belt and dragged him from the room, just as Orion would deal with an animal carcass. A snaking line of blood was left on the floor in the body's wake.

Staff were running back and forth fetching items from the infirmary, as Talbot barked instructions. The baby was on its way. Snow was writhing back and forth with each contraction.

"How did this happen?" shrieked Snow, clutching her giant pregnant belly.

Apart from the excruciating pain, Snow was still in shock at what was happening. She had no idea how long she had been lying in a cursed slumber, but was more horrified at the thought she was now delivering a baby. Floran stood motionless, his bloodied sword had fallen to the floor. So much had happened in a few short minutes. He had just killed a man - a complete stranger. His wife had been woken by this fiend's kiss. Floran was numb.

"Floran," moaned Snow, holding out her hand, "I need you." Floran just stared idly at her hand. Why couldn't he wake her up? Why did a stranger's kiss break the spell? And then he realised.

"You never loved me, did you?"

Snow's eyes widened. She withdrew her hand and placed it on her aching belly. Eleanor placed her hands on her son's shoulders, "Sit down, now." The Queen guided Floran to a chair. He looked up at her with scared eyes, the same eyes he used to look at her with, when he was a child. Eleanor took his bloodied sword and leaned it against the wall.

"Don't start pushing yet, Snow," said Talbot, "just hold on." Snow nodded between heavy, patterned breathing.

Tilda ran into the room, signing madly to Eleanor. Eleanor signed back, before addressing the room, "I'm just going to check on Rose. Tilda, you stay here and help the physician," said the Queen, before leaving the room.

* * *

"Snow can't have a baby," cried rose desperately to Eleanor. "It's a bit late now Rose. She's awake and the baby is coming. She's going to give birth any moment," replied Eleanor matter of factly.

"What? You don't understand, Eleanor," Rose continued desperately, clutching at Eleanor's arm. "Listen, quite a number of babies disappeared without a trace in Lormere, over a number of years. On two of these occasions, locals said they were sure they had seen Snow running into the forest with one of the missing babies. My parents suspected that Snow was somehow implicated in the babies' disappearances. You see, each disappearance always coincided with Snow being extremely weak and unwell. And each time, after the babies disappeared, Snow would also disappear. Then when she returned, she would be full of energy and vitality again. Finally, one of our local dwarfs told some villagers that he'd followed Snow into the forest with a baby and saw her pass it into the branches of Lormere's Trees of the Dead. The dwarf was due to meet with our parents - the king and queen - to explain what he'd seen, but he was found dead in a creek - mutilated by animals," said Rose, trying to control her distress.

Rose gulped down a goblet of water. "That's it, that's how she rejuvenates herself. I should have told you before, I just, I just couldn't bear to reveal the secret horrors of my family," wailed Rose, pulling herself up from the bed so she was sitting. Eleanor wrung her hands together, terribly worried.

"But Rose, surely Snow wouldn't harm her own child?" asked Eleanor of Rose. "All I can be sure of, is that we must protect your grandchild, my niece or nephew, in whatever way possible" answered Rose. Eleanor nodded.