Chapter 1 - Fury

This chapter is Ian's POV in the chapter Welded from The Host.

"What?"

The question was rhetorical. I couldn't even ask if I had heard right, because she had been very clear. Wanda had told Sunny that she'd also give back her body, that she would leave and the two of them could even go together. The question was not to make sure about the truth that has befallen me, but if she would have the courage to look into my eyes and say that she'd deprived me of any right of decision. She couldn't correspond to my love, it hurt to admit, but I was used to that idea, but she had no right to pull me out of myself that way. She had no right to create a situation over which I had no control. Did she think she could simply get tired of us and do a checkout from Earth? Who does she think she is?

"Ian? What's the problem?" asked Kyle, acting like an idiot zombie. If I hadn't checked his eyes more than once, I'd be sure he had turned into one of these stupid and selfish Souls with innocent face, who trample us as if to stop the flow of a completely organized anthill.

"Wanda" I called through clenched teeth, reaching for her, not quite sure what that hand could hit if I didn't stop it in time. At least that I could control.

She didn't answer me, instead she kept staring, probably thinking what lie she would tell me next. Jared was right all along about the tricks of these parasites...

Jared.

Jared knew. The bastard knew it all along, I was sure. She should have told him, ensuring that he loved her for this. A great and ultimate sacrifice for love of this lout. What about me? An idiot who does not deserve any explanation? Wasn't I even worthy of this? My patience ended, it really wasn't at its best anyway, but any remnant was over. I grabbed her by the arm and pulled her up. Sunny came bundled, trying to protect her "little sister".

Oh no, honey! That you'll have to face alone!

I shook her body until the other one wasn't able to hold on to her anymore. This apparently took Kyle out of his lethargy and he rehearsed a reaction. I simply wasn't interested in wasting my time with him or anyone else. Master of itself, my knee bent and my foot came down on my brother's face. My brother who heard the news that had destroyed me with placidity. My brother who had tried to kill her. Was for that she was still alive? To kill me inside then?

Jared stood in the doorway, crying about how crazy I was, that I would hurt her and all that.

"Do you know what she's planning?"

He said nothing, just looked at me. But his face was not even close to being unreadable. He knew. My whole body went forward culminating in a punch. All the anger and jealousy that I had felt ending up in the pit of my stomach. He was ready to allow her to give her life to please him, to destroy my happiness to guarantee his.

"I'm going to hurt her? I am? You hypocritical swine!"

I pulled her down the aisles, as indifferent to her appeals as, during all this time, she had been to mine. I heard her stumble behind me, brought her body forward pushing hard when she couldn't follow my steps. She stopped complaining, but I heard her gasp. I really wanted her to suffer, wanted her to get hurt. If she didn't value this body, why should I? I wanted that the decision to leave could hurt her as much as it hurt me.

She moaned in pain. That's what I wanted, but at the same time it wasn't. I wanted her to suffer, but couldn't bear when it really happened. The confusion of that moment made ​​me stumble and I stopped.

"Ian, Ian, I..."

Now you want to talk? Now you want my attention? Here, with darkness to protect you? Lest I see your eyes and you do not mine? To make everything easier for you?

I took her in his arms and this contact made ​​me soften. In some ways, Wanderer was like a child who didn't understand the extent of her own actions. She wasn't the crazy, selfish creature digging her long nails into my heart as I had been imagining during the last few minutes. Deep down, I knew it. This was just another time I had to defend her from herself. But how could I defend myself when she wanted me out of everything?

I crossed the big plaza. I couldn't look around to deal with the prying eyes or with someone who dared to defend her. I had a bulldozer inside me and it wouldn't stop until it'd topple everything in its path. We got to my room and I kicked one of the doors. Just one thing on my demolition list. I threw her over the mattress without bothering much with the "landing". Other female bodies had taken that fall gracefully, anxious for what would follow. But what would follow this time would not be pretty.