14

(One Week Later)

Dom arrived home on Friday night, Rex with him, and immediately went to find Freddie.

Adrian and Eli were cooking in the kitchen, talking quietly.

"Hey," Dom went over and kissed Adrian. "Where's Fred?"

"Upstairs, sleeping. I sent him up with a glass of whisky; he hasn't been sleeping very well since Johnston and Wilkins came by."

"Why?" Eli asked Dom.

"We found Tom. He's been in a hospital up north for the past two weeks."

"Is he alright?"

"No." Rex sighed. "I'll tell you when Dom's taken Fred to the hospital. Tom's being transferred to the hospital in town."

Dom ran upstairs to wake Freddie up. He quickly explained what was happening to Fred, and insisted that Fred take a shower and make himself a little more 'presentable' before they went to the hospital.

Fifteen minutes later, freshly showered, with neatly combed hair and clean clothes, Freddie was impatiently waiting for Dom to drive him to the hospital.

As soon as they left, Rex told Eli and Adrian what was going on.

"Tom was left outside the hospital nearly two weeks ago. It looks like he's been tortured."

Eli gasped, horrified.

Rex reached out and grasped his hands, squeezing gently.

"His legs, arm and fingers were broken, and he's been beaten, badly."

"Why?" Adrian managed to ask. "Why would someone do that to him?"