23

(Two Days Later)

Freddie closed the front door as Dom and Adrian stepped inside, and showed them into the living room.

Johnston and Wilkes were already there, as were Rex and Eli, and Tom.

Wilkes waited until Freddie had fetched drinks for everyone who wanted one, before speaking.

"As you're probably aware, this is a most irregular situation. Normally, when a witness if being moved, we're allowed to give no notice of the move until after it's happened. However, Freddie made the point that..." Wilkes glanced uncomfortably at Tom. "Well, he said that you suffered a lot by Elliot's hand, Tom, and... You deserved to say goodbye properly."

"Freddie is being moved today," Johnston continued. "Everything is already in place; his name has been changed, and we'll inform him of his new identity once we're on the road. He has a new flat, and several job interviews already lined up."

"How do we explain this to everyone here?" Eli asked, his voice faint. "His friends, and..."

"We've arranged for an article to be published in the paper two days. 'Freddie' will be killed in a car accident."

Freddie looked slightly pale.

"There are some things that you will need to do after Freddie's gone." Johnston said.

"Like what?" Tom asked.

"Once the article appears, start getting rid of all evidence of him. Photographs, video clips, anything that has Freddie's face on it."

"All of them?" Tom looked aghast.

"All of them," Wilkes said firmly. "It's all for Fred's protection. There can't be any sign of him here; nothing that could be used to trace him to his new location."

"So... we have to... erase him?" Adrian asked finally.

"Yes." Johnston paused.

"Do you have any other questions?" Wilkes asked gently.

"If you guys find Elliot, can Fred come back?" Tom asked immediately.

"That will be up to Freddie."

When all of their questions had been answered, Wilkes and Johnston stood up.

"When you're ready to go, Fred, we'll meet you outside."

Fred nodded blankly.

"You're going now?" Tom asked.

"Yeah," Fred muttered. "I... There's nothing left to do."

He looked around the nearly-bare room.

All of his furniture was being sold, and only a few of his belongings were travelling with him.

His new flat would be fully furnished with the proceeds from the sale of his furniture.

"So, what do we do now?" Adrian asked.

"I... I guess I leave," Fred said softly.

Tears filled his eyes, and he dashed them away angrily.

"Y-you two..." he turned to Dom and Adrian.

He blindly pulled Adrian into a hug and gripped him tightly.

"You two have to get married. We all know Adrian's been planning it for years, so you have to do it."

Dom laughed softly.

"Alright, Fred." He squeezed Adrian's hand gently, smiling, almost shyly.

Fred turned to Rex and Eli.

"And you two, sell your house."

Eli blinked in surprise.

"You're always saying it's too small, so get something bigger. Rex, you're always saying you'd like an old farmhouse, like Dom's, so go and buy one."

After he released Rex and Eli, the group left Fred and Tom alone to say goodbye.

"So..." Tom said quietly.

"Yeah." Fred stepped forward and drew Tom into a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too." Tom lightly stroked Fred's thick hair, curling the strands around his fingers.

A wet nose poking Tom's ankle made him jump. He drew back, and looked down at Murphy.

The puppy wagged his tail enthusiastically.

Fred knelt and picked the puppy up, cuddling him close.

Tom saw tears start to tumble down Fred's cheeks and wiped them away gently.

Murphy whined softly.

"I have to go," Fred whispered.

Tom leant in and kissed him tenderly, before roughly rubbing Murphy's ears, and stepping back.

"Alright."

The pair went outside, where Wilkes and Johnston were waiting beside an unmarked police car.

After one last hug each, and a few last words, Freddie climbed into the back of the car, cradling Murphy on his lap.

The puppy put his paws up on the edge of the window, looking out at the street, his tail wagging happily.

Johnston and Wilkes got into the car, spoke a few words to Freddie, who nodded dully in answer, and started the car.

Tom wanted to turn away as the car pulled away, but he forced himself to keep watching as Freddie drove out of his life.