PHT 22: Help me

Cal woke up sweating, moments before she felt her body about to throw up – again. She leaned over the side of her bed, trying to locate the trash bin she knew was there. She waited, her stomach heaving over and over, but nothing happened.

Finally, her stomach began to empty itself. Only, it tasted like blood. Cal began to get scared. She was used to her meds upsetting her stomach… but she wasn’t used to this. She reached to turn on her bedside lamp, hoping she would discover she was mistaken about the blood. 

With her arm still outstretched, and her body leaning across the space between her bed and nightstand, Cal suddenly felt very light headed. She lost her balance, and went crashing to the ground, accidentally pulling her lamp down with her. Cal cried out in pain. When she had landed, she had landed on her lamp, crushing the light bulb into a million small shards. The hand she used to break her fall had landed on a pile of the glass, and was now in pain.

All of Cal was in pain. Her brain felt like it was being suppressed by a ton of bricks, and every time she coughed more blood came with it. She could hear one of her brothers moving around in the next room. She must have woken up one or both of the boys with her fall, and the shattering of the lamp.  When she tried to call for help, she started to vomit blood again.

Now Cal was terrified.

It was three in the morning, she was disoriented, in pain, and covered in blood.

She heard a knock at the door, and felt relief knowing her brothers would be by her side momentarily.

“Cal?! Are you okay? I heard a noise.” She heard Cayden call out.

“No” was all that Cal could muster before a fit of coughing overtook her.

“Did you just say no, you’re not okay? Cal!” Her brother banged on the door again. “Calliden, open this door right now!”

She had locked her door. Now she regretted that. She struggled to stand up, and failed. She began to crawl towards the door in whatever way she could. She pulled herself along the floor using her elbows – both her hands covered in blood. It was slow. By the time she had made it halfway across the room, Cameron had awoken and joined Cayden outside the door.

“Cal, what’s wrong?! Please open the door!?”

“I’m trying.” Cal said, faintly, trying to make her voice heard, but not sure if she succeeded.

“I’m going to break down this door if you can’t answer me in thirty seconds.”

At this point Cal didn’t care if he had to burnthe house down to get to her. Her vision was going blurry, and the room was spinning.

Then next thing she could remember was being carried down the stairs by Cameron. Cayden ran in front of them, yelling at the top of his lungs to wake up their dad. Cameron walked as quickly as he could with his sister in his arms, and headed directly out the front door and to the truck parked in the driveway.

“Dad’s not home,” Cayden said as he ran out of the house, breathless. He ran to where Cam still stood with Cal in his arms, and opened the passenger door. With Cayden’s help, they got Cal into the truck. Cam slid her to the middle seat and got in. Cayden ran to the driver’s side and got in as well.

“Where the hell is he?” Cameron asked, trying to simultaneously fasten his seat belt and support Cal’s body that was leaning on him.

“No idea. Call him, tell him we’re going to the hospital, if he would care to join us.”

Cal could feel tears begin to involuntarily fall from her eyes. With her uninjured hand, she grabbed onto Cameron’s arm and didn’t let go until they pulled up in front of the hospital’s emergency room entrance.