PHT 6: Hot Pink Triplets

Pink Haired Triplets - Chapter 6
Hot Pink

After school was over, Cal talked to everyone she hadn’t already seen that day, and as much as she liked seeing her friends, she really disliked reassuring the 500th person that she really was okay. She finally said goodbye and made her way outside to Steven’s car, away from all the people.

Waiting beside Steven and her brothers, was Jamie. Jamie was Steven’s younger brother, a sophomore like the triplets . Cal said hi to Jamie, Steven, Cayden, and Cameron, before hurrying them to get into the car. God! She was excited for what was coming next; her brothers and neighbors just weren’t moving fast enough!

Cameron and Cayden had told her about their idea during lunch, and she decided that she liked their idea. After school was over, Steven would drive them to the mall where they would go to a hair salon-place. At first, the triplets were just going to get their heads shaved together, since the chemo was going to make Cal’s hair fall out soon anyways. But then Cal decided that she had a better idea. She didn’t just want to shave her head - the chemo would take care of that - she wanted to do something fun!

So they had huddled together at a table discussing what exactly they would do. It was the first time they had eaten lunch all together, the three of them, in awhile. Cal couldn’t help smiling; as much as she loved being back around her friends at school, she loved her brothers more.

They finished making their plans just in time before the bell rang. On the way out of the lunch room, Steven quickly agreed when asked him for ride, which would make their plan possible.

Cal spent most of the rest of the day talking to her friends, but also thinking about their after school plans. When school got out, Steven would drive the triplets to the mall. There, they would go to the hair salon place and have their hair done. Not done as in shampooed and cut; done as in styled in some crazy way and dyed pink.

Hot Pink.

Then they would walk around for awhile, while people around them stared at the hot pink haired triplets.

They wouldn’t be pink haired triplets for very long, however, before Cal’s hair would start falling out. She was to start receiving chemo the next day, and the doctors said it would start falling out over the next week or two. They had already decided that once Cal started losing her hair, Cam and Cayd would also shave their heads so that they were bald together. Even though it wouldn’t take away the strangeness of being a bald teenaged girl, having two other bald kids nearby might help.

When they arrived at the mall and told the woman working what they wanted, she thought they were crazy. She must have thought that the three siblings had lost their minds, but she gave in, and agreed to dye their hair the color they chose, although she looked at them strange the entire time.

After getting their hair done, the group headed to the food court to get a snack to eat. Cal smiled at her reflection in one of the store windows they passed; the neon pink color clashed with some of the pink flowers on her shirt, which only made her smile more, because hot pink hair clashed with everything. Looking at her brothers, Cal’s smile grew even bigger. The pink hair looked so out of place on their heads – not that it really looked like it belonged on her head either – but on them it just was somehow even funnier.

Some people had trouble telling Cameron and Cayden apart, but not Calliden; she knew them way too well to be fooled by their identicalness. However, their pink hair threw even Cal for a loop. She decided that it was just because she was distracted by their pink hair to be able to focus on telling their faces apart.

Calliden convinced the woman to straighten her hair as well, and the hair stylist had agreed. She probably would have done anything at that point, if it would just get the kids out of her store. However, there were no other customers so she had no excuse to kick them out.

Cal enjoyed tilting her head forward and watching the shield of pink appear before her eyes. She didn’t often straighten her hair, but she liked it now that it was pink.  She was still admiring her hair when she got in Steven’s car, but by the time they were home, it seemed perfectly normal to have pink hair.