Memories

Hej guys, Matthias here, I apologize beforehand for this sucky chapter ^~^ thank you for reading!
~~~~

Lukas was floating.

Sort of.

He had a pretty good view of what was going on. Whatever was going on.

He saw a man and woman, sitting on a love seat, smiling at each other. "Can I feel it?" The man asked.

The woman giggled. "Oh Oden, you're absolutely obsessed aren't you?" She asked in a language Lukas wasn't familiar with, but he somehow understood her, and identified it as Danish.

The man, Oden, laughed. "Yes Lærke, perhaps I am. But please, I just want to feel it..." He said in the same language.

Lærke sighed. "Of course, darling. Then I'm going to bed."

Oden leaned in and placed his ear on Lærke's stomach, listening. "It kicked me!" He pouted, then laughed.

"He," she corrected, laughing. "He kicked you."

~

The same woman, Lærke lay in a hospital bed, smiling. She cuddled a small bundle of blankets. "Oden? You can come in now."

The door creaked open, and Oden rushed in. "Is he alright? What does he look like? Are you okay?"

Lærke laughed, though dark circles gathered under her eyes, and her hair was plastered to her scalp with sweat. "I'm fine, and he's fine." She tilted the bundle towards Oden.

Lukas swiveled and saw the baby. It has blonde fuzz that spiked up slightly, pale skin, and pink lips. It opened its eyes slowly. They were huge, and bright, sparkling blue.

Oden gasped. "He's beautiful..."

Lærke chuckled. "Yes, his eyes are extraordinary. I had a name."

Oden looked up. "What?"

Lærke smiled. "Matthias."

~

A toddler was running around. "Papa~!" He shouted.

Oden, now with a blonde beard, turned the corner. "Yes Matthias?" He asked, smiling.

Matthias stopped. "Papa, why is your accent different?"

Oden blinked. "Well, Matthias, I'm actually from another country. Germany. I met your mother. I saved her life, she saved mine. Then you came along," Oden chuckled. "I'm actually from Germany!"

Matthias's eyes grew wide. "Whoaaah, that's epic!" He laughed and hugged Oden. "I love you so much Papa!"

Oden smiled. "I love you too, Matt."

~

Lærke was out cold on a hospital bed. The tools were ready.

It was time.

Lukas couldn't tear his eyes away as the doctors methodically removed her legs and right arm. Lukas choked slightly, then finally was able to look over. Matthias was peering through the little window in the door, tears streaming down his face. He was older now, maybe around nine or so.

The doctors finished. "That should cut off the cancer."

Lukas's eyes widened. Lærke had cancer?

Would she survive?

~

Matthias was digging happily through a trunk to play dress up. But not as girly stuff, as a Viking, or police officer, something strong!

He dug around, and at the bottom of his father's brown trunk was a uniform. It was black, and had... The swastika on the side.

"Papa?" Matthias called. "What's this?"

Oden came in and saw the uniform. He blinked, then wrenched it out of Matthias's hands. "That was mine when I was young and blind." He shoved it in the trunk and closed it. "Stop snooping in my stuff." He grabbed Matthias by the earlobe and dragged him out. Lukas caught a glimpse of Lærke in a wheelchair, her legs and right arm gone.

~

A tombstone. Some flowers. And a little Matthias, curled in a ball, sobbing silently.

The tombstone was grey, with elaborate etchings of flowers on it. Lukas didn't need to read the tombstone to know.

HERE LIES LÆRKE KØHLER SHCHMIDT. HOPING HER SON WILL TAKE ON THE LAST NAME KØLHER.

RIP.

Leave it to Lærke to make a point, even from the grave.

~

Matthias was sitting in a lounge chair, playing video games. His hair was in even more of a disarray than usual, and his blue eyes were dull.

Suddenly, Oden barged in. "YOU!" He shrieked. "THIS IS YOUR FAULT!"

Matthias, of course, the naughty fourteen year old he was, thought his dad had found out he accidentally poisoned the neighbor's cat and buried it. He did not realize his father was speaking of Lærke. "I'm sorry, it was an accident, I didn't mean to--"

Oden flipped. "YOU CONFESS! YOU KILLED HER!"

Matthias flinched. "I'm sorry, it was an accident, I thought it was food, I didn't know it was poison!"

Oden hit Matthias. "YOU POISONED HER! NOW SHE'S DEAD! BURIED UNDER COLD HARD EARTH!"

Matthias moaned from the floor, which he had fallen on from the force of Oden's blow. "I don't know if the dirt was that hard..." He muttered.

"AND NOW YOU'RE BEING FUNNY!" Oden kicked Matthias, who was sent sprawling across the room.

"Papa... Stop..." Matthias groaned, curling into a ball. Something glass smashed over his head, and he blacked out.

~

Lukas had control of what he saw again. That last one was all Matthias's point of view, and it was terrible.

Matthias was making his way into his father's bedroom. "Papa? Your tea is ready." He said softly. Bruises lined his arms and legs, more under his shirt and shorts. "Papa?"

Matthias shrieked. Lukas peered around his shoulder and saw Oden suspended on a rope above the ground. No life was in his eyes, he swung like a tire swing pushed by the breeze.

He was dead.

~

Lukas woke up, screaming. Wang Yao, who had been bending over him, jumped back, cursing in Mandarin Chinese.

"O.... D... Oden?" Lukas questioned, looking around. Mr. Vargas was looking at him with dark, concerned eyes, and Matthias stood in the corner, his blue eyes wide.

"Lukas... Are you okay?" He asked.

Lukas sat up slowly. "You know Matthias..." He said, hoping his voice wouldn't crack. "I doubt either of us is okay."

~~~~

Ahhhh, Gomen guys. This sucks.

Gomen'nasai for this sucky chapter. Anyways, hej guys, Matthias here. This is a pretty sucky chapter, I just wanted to... I don't even know anymore XD Sorry for all the italics, I didn't know how to portray the flashbacks >~<

The HongIce story should be up tomorrow!

Jeg elsker dig!
Matthias