𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. happiness is a transient thing

──────────────────

"Was Samuel by your side when your friends stopped talking to you?"

As if. This was one of the questions when Emilia really didn't know whether to tell the truth or lie. Usually, she at least had an idea of which would do the less damage.

"No."

Wrong choice. The inspector's eyes widened with desireful curiousity. "How so? Weren't the two of you together? I thought he had already broken up with Marina."

"I told you that things were a bit complicated between Samuel and Marina," the blonde rushed, desperately wanting to talk about anything else. "He got angry at me because he cares about everyone's wellbeing. Because he's a good person."

The inspector clicked her pen. "But he was able to forgive you, obviously. Because you're dating, now."

"Yeah," the blonde sighed, realizing that none of her claims about Samuel's good qualities mattered, because she was his girlfriend. Shit, Samu, why did they have to find you at the crime scene? "Because he's a good person," she repeated, even though she knew that it probably wouldn't have any effect, coming from her. "Forgiving."

"Forgiving enough to forgive Marina and Nano?"

──────────────────

HAPPINESS IS A TRANSIENT THING

"Emilia. Can we talk?"

It was the first time in weeks their desk heard a word directed towards one of them from the other, except when they were exchanging a pencil. Emilia stared at Samuel with inconcealable surprise, but it mixed with joy when she saw Samuel's face expression.

Not angry. Honest. Regretful. The boy felt like an idiot – again – for falling into Marina's trap once more. The redhead was acting like she was the one with rights to be mad and refusing to speak to him, when she – what? Ruined his best friend's life by snitching on him? Was on drugs? Was pregnant? Helped his brother steal, even though she claimed she did it for him?

No, Samuel was done. Emilia was right, Marina hurt him again, and for a person who had been treating him like the utmost shit, he cut Emilia out of his life. Because of a fight. Of course, she revealed something she shouldn't have, but she was genuinely sorry. Samuel felt like a bigger and bigger asshole the more he thought about the situation.

"I'm sorry," he said. "You were right. And I'm sorry. What you did was wrong, but how I treated you was worse."

Emilia flicked her pen, unsure of how to react. "What made you change your mind?" she asked quietly.

Samuel sighed. "I miss you. But mostly, you were right about Marina. She just hurts people wherever she goes. I mean, it's not even that she's pregnant-"