𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞. arguments and allies

──────────────────

"Were you jealous of Marina, Emilia?"

"I didn't care about the trophy."

Emilia knew that her rushed answer was probably the worst mistake that she could've possibly made, but the inspector seemed not to be alarmed. "I meant because of Samuel."

Thank god. Ten minutes earlier, Emilia would've hated that question, but now, she felt like she narrowly escaped a fall down the abyss. That was why she was able to calmly answer. "At one point, kind of. She seemed to have him wrapped around her finger."

The inspector opened her mouth to ask another question, but Emilia didn't let her. "But honestly, I was more mad than jealous."

"Angry? You were angry with Marina?"

Only now, Emilia realized how it sounded. "Months ago," she explained hurriedly. "Because of Samuel. It wasn't only that I was jealous, I could deal with him not liking me if they were happy together. I only wanted Samu to be happy." The inpector's eyes were studying the girl meticulously. "But she was playing him. That was what made me mad. I knew that she didn't deserve him."

The inspector pensievely flipped a page in her notebook. "So, you're saying that you thought that you were better for Samuel than Marina."

──────────────────

ARGUMENTS AND ALLIES

"Samu," Emilia braced herself for an unpleasant conversation, "I have to tell you something."

Samuel was putting finishing touches on his Biology project, desperately trying to fix his drawing of the skeleton. It was a good drawing, but anatomically, the ribcage was about twice as long as it should be. "What?"

Emilia sighed. This was the moment. She hadn't had the courage nor opportunity to talk to Samuel during the past week. Her father had been putting her through hell. If she wasn't willing to run, she had a lot of time for other representative affairs. Emilia was dragged from one party to another charity gala, where her father kept introducing her to businessmen and trying to get her internships. Emilia was smiling politely on the outside, desperately bored on the inside, thinking about how Samuel was hanging out with the redhead, not knowing anything about her betrayal. But that was over.

"It's really hard for me to say this," the girl started. She wasn't lying. It would hurt to see Samuel hurt. However, it would be extremely satisfying to see Marina's ass busted.

"What?" Samuel left his drawing, focusing only on Emilia, having sensed the serious tone of her voice.

Emilia exhaled heavily. Time to drop the bomb. "Marina – she has something going on with your brother."