Chapter 4

Beron ---------->

I groaned out in annoyance as I could feel myself starting to wake up. Not wanting to go up just yet I rolled over on my side so that I could press my face against my pillow. Only there wasn’t any pillow under my head. With a jerk I was sitting up and as I opened my eyes I found myself in complete darkness. I could feel my heart starting to pick up its pace until it was beating rapidly in my chest. My small hands were shaking from fright and my breathing came out in uneven breaths that did nothing to stop the racing heart inside of me. I knew that I had to get myself together so that I could fully wake up but my mind wouldn’t let me. It just kept racing from one thing to another and it wasn’t until something stirred against my lap and let out a low whine that I let a scream tore out of my throat.

I could hear someone let out a cuss before I suddenly was hit with the bright light from the sun. Flinching back I moved my hand up to cover my eyes from all the brightness. I could feel someone shaking me and I could faintly hear a low growl coming from my lap. “Vakna!” My eyes suddenly snapped open and I could feel all the memories from last night come back to me as the tiredness disappeared. I immediately stopped moving and looked up to see Eragon kneeling in front of me a foot away. I frowned my eyebrows in confusion but laughed slightly as he pointed to the dragon in my lap. I sent relaxing though through or bond and lifted the dragon up so that I could hug it closely to my chest. The black dragon, which had grown since yesterday, immediately stopped growling at Eragon and relaxed it’s head under my chin as Saphira’s large body relaxed around me. “I am sorry Eragon. I panicked before I fully had woken up.” I explained, blushing in shame as I looked down at the ground to avoid eye contact. My dragon pressed it snout against my cheek with a little whine and I smiled at the gesture. “There is no need to be ashamed little girl.” Eragon’s voice was soft and filled reassurance that made me look up from my dragon and into his brown eyes.  I snorted out at his words but looked up to smile at him anyways. “Where are we?” I asked after a few awkward moments of silence. Eragon seemed to snap out of whatever thought he was in and a genuine smile formed on his lips. I smiled back at him and leaned backwards to rest my back on one of Saphira’s muscular and massive legs. “We’re just outside of Du Weldenvarden.” My eyes widened in shock but I nodded as it occurred to me that I actually was reasonable since we flew out from Carvahall instead of walking or horse riding. As if reading my thoughts Eragon chuckled lightly and stood up on his feet, stretching out his back and sighed out as it gave out a crack in protest.

The nice silence surrounding us was interrupted by the loud growl of my stomach. My face turned bright scarlet as Eragon laughed slightly but motioned for me to get up. Doing as he said, with my dragon still comfortable in my arms, I walked up to him. He held out a piece of bread to me and I quickly took it, sending him a grateful smile before walking back to the leather bad resting beside my sleeping spot. “How are you feeling?” Eragon asked, making me look up from the juicy and very flavored piece of breath I was currently eating with a content smile on my lips. I though through his question before answering him, wanting to be truthful with him. “I feel drained but more relaxed than I have been in years.” Was my answer to his question and I could see his brown eyes soften ever so slightly, making my tense shoulders shag with relief.

Half way through my bread Saphira stood up from her resting place, hovering above us like the tallest tree. I tilted by head back and bit down on my lip as she crouched down as if ready to take off. I pressed my dragon’s face into my chest and closed my eyes tightly as Saphira flapped her powerful wings and flew up towards the woods behind us. My dragon squealed against me after a few seconds of covering him from the flying dust around us and I reluctantly released the grip I had on him so that he could trot out of my lap and walk around the camp. My brown eyes followed the hatchling as it flapped its surprisingly large wings and my mouth opened as he lifted off the ground after a few tries. I looked over at Eragon with panic filled eyes before I stood up, ready to catch the little guy before it flew away. A hand stopped me as it wrapped around my wrist. I snatched my hand out of his grip and nibbled on my bottom lip as the black dragon started to fly around us, heading further and further away for each time he circled us.