Chapter 3

Lilly --------->

My body was shaking violently in fright and with every step the two of them took towards me I took a step backwards, wanting to keep the relatively short distance between us but it was useless because I found myself tripping backwards over a larger stone embedded in the ground behind me. Well lying in the ground I could do nothing but to watch as my father and my brother came to stand above me with eyes filled up with hatred. I screamed out as my brother raised the shovel in his hands and slammed it down towards me and I closed my eyes tightly. A clash of metal rang through my ears and I quickly opened my eyes again, taking in Brad flying through the air away from me with the shovel being thrown after him. My brown eyes were filled with fear as I looked up at my savior and as I took in the swift and agile movements of the old rider as he swung his blue sword through the air I literally stopped breathing. With my eyes trailed on Eragon’s back I didn’t see the long blue tail coming my way until it was wrapped around my waist and pulling me up in the air, making my scream that left my mouth fill the air around us and getting the attention of my father. His blue eyes widened as they followed the blue dragon tail, wrapped around my waist, up to the huge sapphire dragon landing several yards away from where her rider and my father were fighting.

“A dragon rider?!” A shiver ran down my spine as my father yelled out in anger and I could feel something inside me stir. I stood up on wobbly legs and made my way towards the two fighting men. I could feel anger run through me with such force that I stumbled slightly as my brother threw himself at Eragon, straddling his chest. I quickened my pace as Brad started throwing punch after punch into Eragon’s face at the same time as my father picked up the shovel lying a few feet away from him.

The anger inside me bas burning like a never-ending flame and I broke out in a run towards them as Saphira let out a thunderous growl when my father stepped up beside his son and pulled him of off the dragon rider. Looking over my shoulder I could see Saphira hunching down, getting ready to pounce, so I cried out as I threw myself over my father, making him stumble into his son. With my heart beating rapidly in my chest I stood in front of the old rider with my hands clenched tightly against my sides. My two family members let out a ramble of cuss words before they got back on their feet, their eyes darkened with hatred that I had grown so accustomed to. Instead of flinching back though, I straightened my back and returned their glares with a glare of my own.

“This ends now.” I growled out as I stalked towards them as my body hummed with energy. Their almost identical blue eyes widened slightly but I paid no attention to it. The two of them shared a look before they launched at me and with panic filled eyes I raised my hands up to protect my face and as my hand made contact with a solid chest I pushed with all my strength. The air was filled with Saphira’s now growl as well as the scream of my brother as he flew through the air. My father was frozen mid-air from Saphira’s blue tail wrapped tightly around his waist. I glanced at my father one more time before turning my back towards him and reached out my hand towards the man lying on the ground with a bleeding nose. A genuine smile spread on my lips as his rough and wrapped around my wrist. Eragon moved his hand down and squeezed my hand before he stood in front of me with his arms crossed over his muscular chest.

My sour mood lightened slightly when I saw Lilly walking over with one of her father’s arms slung over her slim shoulders. Smiling over at my friend I swallowed down the lump in my throat before I stepped over to Eragon. Giving his shoulder a light squeeze I stepped forward and sent my right hand flying towards my father’s face. The loud smack that filled the air as my palm connected with my father’s cheek made tears fill up in my eyes. “What is the matter with you?” My father hissed out through his teeth, and his words made the tears in my eyes spill over and run silently down my mudded cheeks. My bottom lip trembled as I looked into the eyes of my father’s. “What’s the matter with me?” I cried out my left palm smacking him across the face as more tears spilled out of my brown eyes. I shook my head making my brown hair fly around me as I tried to get control of my racing emotions. “I have endured thirteen years of being mistreated! Of being abused! And you ask me what’s the matter?!” I shouted, my voice was laced with anger and my hands were shaking form the intensity of the feeling. My father, no, George, looked at me with such loathing that it made a strangled sob escape my throat. He raised his hand ready to punch me but I moved my right hand and sent my tightly clenched fist flying towards him. As my fist connected with it’s target George’s head snapped backwards and his eyes rolled back before his body turned limp.