{ flowers }

words: 766

-

Travis was desperate to find out who his mystery admirer was, if only to tell them to stop.

It didn't particularly help his relationship status when different flowers from an unknown lover would appear on his at nine a.m. every day, without fail.

Especially when all the flowers meant some variation of 'love'.

He assumed this mystery admirer was someone who was into flowers, but also someone who he didn't know too well.

For a few days, Travis had even considered Miranda Gardiner, but it was obvious that she hated him, almost as much as her half-sister, Katie.

He had tried catching the flower-gifter when they were delivering them, but they never seemed to enter the cabin.

He would blink, and there would be a new flower on his pillow.

This had been going on for around a week and a half, which didn't seem like much time, but it totaled a good amount of flowers, and he had collected three roses, two hydrangeas, two tulips, and even a stray peony.

Love, heartfelt motives, declarations of love, and bashfulness.

On this particular day, as Travis stared intently at his bunk from his perch in one of the Hermes cabin's arm chairs, he spotted a thick vine snaking its way through the slightly open window, heading directly toward his bed.

This vine, of some plant that Travis didn't know, was curled carefully around a new flower, not letting it slip, but not crushing it.

He had to give them props, whoever was sneaking the flowers in, was truly a master of their craft.

Who could it be?

After the vine slid gently back out the window, Travis pulled the chart of flower-meanings that he had received with his first flower out from under his pillow to check the meaning of the newest addition to his collection.

Heather.

Admiration.

He smiled faintly despite himself. Even if he wanted them to stop, he appreciated what the mystery person was doing.

He tenderly picked up the heather and placed it in his large glass vase that he had stolen from the Big House.

Everyone else in his cabin, especially Connor, told Travis that the whole thing was stupid and that he should just throw the flowers out, but he simply couldn't bring himself to discard such a heartfelt gift.

After positioning the heather with the other flowers in the vase, at least sort of neatly, Travis walked out of his cabin, and was met with an unusual sight.

Miranda and Katie were arguing, arms waving, voices raised, faces red, and all the other features that usually greeted Travis every morning.

Katie and Miranda typically got along very well, being the two senior-most members of Demeter cabin, and rarely had full-fledged arguments.

Travis edged nearer slowly, along with the growing crowd of demigods, afraid that Katie might blow up on him for only standing there. He silently thanked the gods that he had decided against a prank for that day.

"Katie, this is getting out of hand! We're losing flowers, and he obviously has no idea!" Travis wracked his brain for where he had heard something similar recently, Miranda's words ringing a faint bell deep in his mind, but he couldn't place where from.

"I don't care, Miranda!" upon second glance, Katie seemed more desperate and broken than angry, perhaps even close to tears, "He needs to find out somehow, and this was your idea to begin with!"

"Well, I didn't know he was this dense!"

"Seriously? This is-" Katie paused abruptly, becoming aware of her audience. She turned slowly to face the crowd, arms crossed over her chest, and with one sharp glare, sent most of them running for their cereal bowls.

Not Travis.

"Who were ya talkin' about, Katie-kat?" he stuffed his hands in his jean pockets, as if trying to push down the hope that she was talking about him.

Not responding, Katie marched up to him, looking like she was prepared to slap him across the face for simply speaking, right as the puzzle pieces fell into place in Travis's mind.

"You're-mph," he never got to finish his sentence, however, because at that moment, Katie smashed her lips against his.

He stumbled slightly backward, but quickly recovered and rested his hands on her waist.

Hers were fiddling with the curls at the base of his scalp, and everything felt so right, that, in the moment, Travis nearly forgot they were supposed to be enemies.

Breaking away from him to take a breath, Katie whispered in his ear, her breath tickling the side of his face, "Roses, idiot."

-

I knew I would be able to get some longer stuff out soon lol, I just needed to write a bunch of short fluff first

I'm actually relatively okay with this one, so yay

bye!

~~