Accidental Fame

2.

School. One of the biggest ways news or gossip got around. For me, I tried staying out of the line of fire. I purposely out casted myself. I had friends in each class, but I wasn’t as close to them as I was to Ian. I was more on the lines of being friends with everyone. I didn’t have enemies and people rarely gossiped about me. Though strangely, it seemed like every pair of eyes in this school was gawking at me after my first period class. I felt like I was under a microscope, being observed. I didn’t even know why they were staring at me today. All I wore was a white blouse, black skinny jeans, brown boots, and a simple hippie band on my head. Maybe it was the hippie band. I didn’t get why; a lot of people wore them, so why was I getting all the stares?

After my first period trig class, I walked down the hall with Maria. She was a nice girl who sat with me in trig. She had long blond hair and the bluest eyes I ever seen. “I don’t know if I’m being paranoid, but I think the whole fricken student body is staring at me. Not in a conceited way.” I said as we walked down the busy halls. “I wouldn’t be surprised since you’re all over the school website.” I stopped walking. “What?!” I said. I didn’t check the website today. “Yea. Didn’t you know? There was this picture of you. Like you were in a foresty background. It was a really cool photo.” She said. I closed my eyes in silent anger. It explained the gawking, but why was it up on the school website, for everyone to see. I groaned. “Hey you looked awesome. Don’t get upset.” Maria said. “I don’t know why it’s up there though.” I said. Then I suddenly remembered what Ian had said about his project. “I don’t know I didn’t read the caption.” She said and we continued walking. “Ian” was all I said. So he won for the best picture for his art class. Then on cue, Ian and his friend Max strolled down the hallway laughing at something. I stood in their path, annoyed. Ian saw me and he pressed his lips together to hide his smile. That loser knew it was on the site and he didn’t tell me.

“Oh look its Ian.” She said. I think I heard her release a small sigh. “Just on time.” I said. The boys were in front of us. “Hey Aly, Maria.” Max said. “Max. Ian.” I said. “Oh Hi Ian. Max.” Maria said with a smile. Ian smiled. “Ladies” he said. “Excuse us.” I said and took Ian’s arm and pulled him down the hall where there wasn’t as many students.

“What’s wrong?” He said, smiling. I so badly wanted to wipe that smile of his off his face. “My picture is on the school site.” I said. “Oh yea. I forgot to tell you that I won.” He said still smiling. I scowled. “Everyone is staring at me.” I said. “So, It isn’t a bad thing. Besides you looked awesome in that picture and you know it. Everyone loves it.” he said. I didn’t say anything. “Come on, let’s go to English. We’re gonna be late.” He grinned. “Fine” I muttered and he gave me a small hug. He then pulled my hippie band a little. “I like this. Its nice.” He said and we began to walk to English. “Thanks” I said. I was already over everything. “Are you working tonight?” Ian said. We were almost to the English room. “Yea I finish at 9:30 tonight. You?” I said. “Yep finish at 8:30. I guess I’ll be seeing you then.” He said as we took our seats next to each other. “Sounds like a plan.” I said and began taking out my books as Ms. McKay entered the room. “Hello everyone. Before I start, may I say congratulations to Ian and Aly. Beautiful work.” She smiled at us. I groaned. Everyone turned to gawk at us. “Thanks.” I muttered. “See. Beautiful work.” Ian whispered. “Uh huh” I said. Then Ms. McKay began to lecture.

By the time school ended, I wasn’t the highlight of the day. I was relieved when none of my other teachers acknowledged my photo. The stares lessened and I could continue my day normal. After school, I dropped Ian home and then went to work.

“How was school?” Roy asked as cleaned off the counter. “The usual.” I said. I didn’t want to bring up the picture because he’d want to see. “I see. Well today wasn’t as busy but maybe at night it will be.” He said. “That’s good. We’ve been slow lately. We need more customers.” I said. “That’s what I was thinking. Maybe we should do events or something.” Roy said, leaning on the delivery counter after I wiped it clean. “Like what?” I said. “I don’t know. Anything to get this place busier.” He said. I didn’t get a chance to reply because a set of tourist came in. I smiled at them and led them to a booth.