Seventeen

My body shook with overjoyed adrenalin long after Mason and I drove through the gates at St George's Park. The whole way down the driveway, my heart pounded and my legs bounced uncontrollably. Delighted greetings from the welcoming staff left me feeling giddy while Mason and I left the foyer. After comparing room numbers and figuring out we were just down the hall, we made our way through towards the lift. With a skip in my step and a grin on my face, it felt like nothing was going to bring me down from my good mood. 

The first familiar faces we saw were those of Sophie North and Harry Sutherland, defenders from Spurs and Liverpool. They were coming back from their medicals, so deep in what sounded like an intense debate that they only noticed us when we came to a stop in front of them. 

I liked Sophie and Harry. They were both seniors in the team, been around for ages, and right from my first call up they'd been welcoming and helpful. Having two senior defenders guiding me as I worked my way into the starting team was a blessing back then, but their efforts hadn't stopped there. During my injured season, both of them had checked up on me and, when they played Chelsea, they'd both come to ask how I was getting on. 

So it wasn't a surprise when they greeted me with just as much enthusiasm as the front-of-office staff had. Sophie pulled me in for a hug, Harry taking hold of me as soon as she'd let me go. 

"God, Beck, it's so great that you're back!" Sophie was saying as I stepped back from Harry. 

"Yeah, welcome," Harry added with a smile, crossing his arms over his chest. "How does it feel?"

"Been a while," I said, unable to hold back my grin. "It feels fantastic." 

"Thank goodness you are back. Should've seen this one walking around like a lost puppy last break." Sophie motioned to Mason, who was quick to roll his eyes. 

"Don't go boosting her ego even more." 

Harry laughed at Mason's comment, and if it weren't for the twist in my stomach, I was sure I would have been laughing, too. 

"Beck couldn't have an ego if she tried." I nodded to Sophie, raising an eyebrow at Mason now that the shock at my teammate's statement had worn off. 

"Anyway, congrats on the baby, H!" Mason, clearly trying to change the subject, turned his attention to the Liverpool defender. 

We spoke to the pair a bit longer before going to dump our bags. Harry had told us the medical rooms were empty when they left, so I hurried Mason along. I wanted to be done with it all as soon as possible and find the rest of the team. Part of me was still worried as we rounded the final corner and the rooms came into my sight; even with the playing I had been doing for my club, it still felt as if I'd walk in, only to be told that I wasn't fully fit and needed to leave again. 

My fears were correctly false, though, because no longer than ten minutes after I'd taken in a deep breath outside the doors, Mason and I were exiting back through them. As we did, he shoved my upper arm softly. 

"What?" I asked, frowning as I shoved him back. 

Chuckling, he stumbled for a step before straightening up again. "Nothing. I'm just glad you're here, Hart." 

Repressing a grin at his unexpected words, I looked down at the carpeted floor instead. Butterflies were appearing in my stomach, warm and welcome compared to the discomfort of the ones I'd felt before my medical. However, I didn't have long to dwell on the feeling. 

"Look who we have here." 

My gazed lifted to in front of me, the bitter voice familiar and unwanted. Already scowling, I met the stony face of Lance Randall, who was stopped in the corridor in front of Mason and me. We stopped walking, too, and I heard Mason let out a sigh at my side. 

"Hello, Lance," I said in the coldest voice I could muster. 

"You two look like you're on a couple's retreat, not England duty." 

I knew the comment was meant to wind us up, and it did just that. Blood already boiling, I opened my mouth to respond, but Mason beat me to it. 

"If we were, I guarantee you wouldn't be here, Randall." Mason's voice sounded calm, but the anger coming off him was palpable. 

Lance let out a huff of a laugh and turned his attention to me. "Rebecca, I see you're back. What's it been, like five, six months?" He cocked his head to the side as I clenched my hands into fists. 

"Over a year, but who's counting?" 

To my annoyance, he let out a genuine laugh this time. "Wow, a year?" He nodded as I released a steady breath through my nose. "Guess time flies when you're having fun, huh?" 

Inhaling, I had to hold myself back as the meaning behind his words hit me. It would have been easy to reply with something snarky, or even to just shake my head and ignore him, but his words cut me in a strange way, leaving me wordless as I stared at him. 

"How are your kids, Randall? Must be almost finished high school now, right?" 

Mason spoke up, shifting his body so that his arm brushed against mine the slightest bit. The remark was just as petty as anything I could have said. Some of the embarrassment Lance's jab had caused me diminished as I saw his grin falter. 

"My one kid is five," he said. "But thanks for asking. You two expecting any time soon?" 

My cheeks burned at his words and I knew my face must have shown how shocked I was. Clearing my throat, I crossed my arms over my chest, all too aware of the contact Mason's arm was still making with mine. I wondered if he could feel how flushed my body was at the jibe. 

Knowing he'd won, Lance grinned. "Anyway, great to have you back, Beck." 

I narrowed my eyes at him as he stepped forwards, his hand in front of us as he came closer. Stepping to the side, I let the older midfielder pass between us and continue towards the medical rooms. Avoiding Mason's gaze, I just let out a groan. 

"He's the worst." 

"You got that right." 

In silence, we walked back towards the lobby. Whatever enthrallment I'd felt driving in had been completely overtaken by stupid nerves again and, with the awkward silence now between Mase and I, they felt unbearable. However unreasonable I knew Lance's words to be, it didn't stop them from following me for the rest of the day, unfairly dragging down my return to the national team.