One Step Ahead

Police were taking pictures for everything in the room, flashes were everywhere as it was a horrible crime to an important person who was Patrick.

  Jason was devastated he was scared and couldn't observe what happened. Jack brought Jason a cup of water then Edward came and sat beside him. He calmed him down and promised him that he will reach to the killer.

  Joey reached the crime scene late he took the body with him. Jack then called Tracey and told her to put an eye on everyone that was in the university.

  The next day was the funeral, Jessica stayed beside Jason as well as his friends. After the funeral ended everyone went and shook hands with Jason and gave him a word.

  Jack, Edward, Tracey, Jason, and his friends at the end of the funeral a message on Instagram from Patrick's account. It was the mysterious killer and hacker. The message was a photo of the funeral. There were different photos. Some focused on Edward, Jack, and Tracey. But mainly the other photos focused on Jason and his friends.

  Edward arrives back home his son Tennyson wasn't there so he called him. He didn't answer but after a few minutes, he sent a message that he will be back in an hour. An hour had passed he didn't come back home. Edward started to worry but told himself that it could be traffic or maybe something happened.

  Three hours had passed, Edward then called Tracey told her to track Tennyson's phone. He waited for her to call him.

  The phone rang he answered, " What did you reach?".

  " Look, Edward don't panic, please. The location of the phone is at your house!" Tracey said.

  The phone fell from Edward's hands and his face turned white, he went to get his gun from the desk and went upstairs to the bedrooms.

  The doors were closed and covered in blood from the outside. He approached his room first slowly pointing his gun, he opened the door he found the killer's clothes. It was the white pale face mask and the black hoodie on the ground, and there was a letter as well. He opened the letter slowly as he was breathing heavily, it said:

  " You are such a clever officer you and your friend. You always think you know everything and that you have all the weaponry that you need, but the truth is you are always one step behind and I am one step ahead of you. Think about the right choice and leave the case you and Jack. Oh, and also the blood that you saw is your son's blood!"

  Edward through the letter away and went to his son's room he broke the door and went in but there was nothing inside just only Tennyson mobile in the middle of the room.

  He went and picked it up, as soon as he had it in his hands he received a message which came from his account!

  Which is impossible as his phone was downstairs. He opened the message it was a video. The video started with when Tennyson arrived back home. The video was shot by many angles including Tennyson's phone itself. Tennyson then went to the kitchen took an apple and started eating it. The telephone he went to answer it but he kept saying, " Hello." but no one answered him so he hung up. From behind as he was distracted by the unknown caller there was a shape the video quality wasn't the best but the shape moved and passed from behind. Tennyson then went upstairs as he went in the room it was clear that it was killer he trapped him in a rear chock and then got out a syringe and injected him with it. The screen glitches for a second then returns back on the killer with his mask on looking at the camera he picks up a paper written on it, " Good luck. See you soon.".

  Then the video ended. Edward went downstairs picked up his phone called Jack and told him that it was urgent and that he had to come to him.

  They went back to the police station, Jack was devastated and he was silent most of the time. Tracey and Jack tried to calm him down by telling him that they will find Tennyson. Edward then went to his office and decided to have a nap.

  The next day at the university after the educational day had ended, Jason, Jessica, and Harry were standing together talking about Tennyson and that he is not answering any texts. They get interrupted by professor Dexter who was teaching psychology for last year's students.

  " You must be Jason is that correct?" professor Dexter asked.

  Jason nodded his head and asked, " Yes, that's me. How can I help you, professor?"

  " No no, I came here to tell you I am sorry for your uncle. I couldn't attend the funeral. And did they find anything about who stabbed him to death?" Professor Dexter asked.

  " No worries, professor. But a question how did you know he was stabbed to death?" Jason asked.

  The conversation suddenly became silent and there was suspicion from professor Dexter.

  " He was a friend of mine. When I heard the news I went asking everyone what happened until I reached a cop from the police station who I knew and told me what happened." professor Dexter said.

  Everything and everyone calmed down and then everyone left.

  Professor Dexter arrived back to his apartment he wanted to fix the ceiling fan but he needed help. He gets out the duck tape in case he needed to use it and some wires. He then went down a floor to a neighbor's apartment and asked them if someone can help. The neighbor sent his son to help Dexter as he was doing nothing but sitting on his phone.

  The neighbor's son was so delighted to help. They went upstairs to Dexter's apartment. As Dexter was hammering some iron nails he receives a notification on his phone he told the kid to leave it as they were working. Then he received another message.

  Dexter got down from the chair and turned his phone silent. They fixed most of it, it was time to duck tape the wires.

  " Hand me the duck tape that's over there on the table, please," Dexter said, the kid went to the table but there was no duck tape.

  " Mr. Dexter there is no duck tape here." the kid said. Dexter gets confused and goes to check it out, there was no duck tape there what so ever. Although he remembered that he kept it on the table before he went to the neighbors.

  " We have duck tape down at our house I can get it for you." the kid said.

  " Okay son, but be quick," Dexter said.

  The kid went back to his apartment. He kept searching for the duck tape but he couldn't find it. His mother told him that they ran out of duck tape.

  So the kid went back up to Dexter as he was climbing up the stairs he hit a man he was wearing a black sweatshirt hoodie and had the hoodie on.

  " I am so sorry, sir." the kid said.

  " No problem, you are helping the neighbor that is fixing something in his apartment right?" the stranger asked.

  " Yes, sir but I have to leave now because my dad told me not to talk to strangers." the kid said.

  " Oh okay, no problem. I just wanted to know because I have a spare duck tape which he sent you to look for. Here you can have it." The stranger said and gave the duck tape to the kid.

  The kid smiled and thanked the mysterious man. He then went back to Dexter's apartment. The door was half-opened but he couldn't see what's inside clearly. He fully opened it a loud scream was heard by the neighbors and the whole building.