two

october 22, 2019

"her right knee is fractured," the doctor paused. "but, we also found a possible sign of osteosarcoma."

"osteosarcoma?" lauren asked, a confused yet concerned expression on her face. "it can't be, she can't have cancer."

"it's type of bone cancer, very common in young athletes. we found a tumor in her knee, which has weakened the bone and made it more susceptible to fracture. we've sent her into surgery so we can remove as much of the tumor as we can," he explained. "we'll have to discuss further treatment once we see how much of it we can get."

hospital waiting rooms were a different kind of depressing. people of different ages, races, and differing symptoms came and went. some were waiting to be treated while other waited for updates on their loved ones, like the three girls sat in the corner with hannah's family.

"i never should've quit. i would've been hannah batting before me, and this never would've happened," lauren dropped her head into her hands.

"laur, you were one of the strongest batters on the team, and so is she. hannah just so happened to be going in last this time around," peyton rubbed her back in consolation. "your decision to quit wouldn't have changed the circumstance."

"and if it hadn't been hannah, they never would've found what they did," avery added. "it's alright. she'll be alright

...

three hours passed before mr. and mrs. stephens walked back into the waiting room with the doctor.

"is she okay?" peyton asked hopefully, the other girl sitting up straight.

"she is," mrs. stephens replied, a unified breath of relief was released.

"the surgery went well, but we were unable to remove the tumor completely. so we'll need to begin chemotherapy immediately."

"so does that mean she can't train for next season?" lauren asked.

"i'm afraid so," he replied.

everyone in the room knew exactly what the stephens girl would think:
everything she had worked for was going to waste, and she would never forgive herself for it.

december 5, 2019

"i don't get it! she's finally out of that stupid hospital room and back with us, but all she does is sit in a pile of pity!" avery yelled. hannah had been dead asleep for hours, and her roomates were sat in the kitchen as peyton prepared dinner.

"avery, she can't play softball. and we all know that it means so much more to her than anything," lauren tried to reason.

"and there's really not much to be excited about around here. not a lot is going on at the moment," peyton added, slowly stirring the pot of soup.

avery sighed, rubbing her eyes as she groaned. "i know we just have to be there for her, and that's all we can do." the two brunettes nodded in agreement before dispersing through the apartment yet again.

INSTAGRAM

𝗽𝗲𝘆𝘁𝗼𝗻.𝗮𝗻𝗻

𝑡𝑎𝑔𝑔𝑒𝑑: @hannahrae2,157 likes 206 commentspeyton

𝑡𝑎𝑔𝑔𝑒𝑑: @hannahrae
2,157 likes 206 comments
peyton.ann water was a wee bit chill

averygrace_ this pic wouldn't exist w/o me just saying
>laurrophelia good point

laurrophelia whose idea was it to swim at 11 pm and why wasn't it invited
>hannahrae 😔🤚
>peyton.ann u were asleep 😭😭

user was this before championships?
>user yeah but hannah got hurt

user before h got hurt :(

user pretty girls

user guys there's no need to bring up the injury every time. it's devastating and im sure she doesn't want people constantly reminding her.
hannahrae liked this comment

load more comments...

a/n

i never wrote an an for this🤭

also yes i'm editing bc these first few chapters SUCK

hehe love you xx

edited: december 14, 2023