A Christmas gift Chapter four

Chapter four

Geraldine's breath caught in her throat at the sight of the tiny infant. It was so small that it was almost lost in the thick folds of the towel. She moved forward, her heart hammering, silently offering a prayer that the baby was still alive. She carefully undid the folds of the towel, relief surging through her at the baby's small mew of protest at being disturbed. Judging by the smears of blood and waxy substances covering the baby's skin it was only a matter of hours old. Geraldine stroked its cheek in wonder unable to believe it was real. Abandoned babies were newspaper headlines; they didn't happen to people like her in sleepy little backwaters like Dibley. Glancing down she smiled, the baby wasn't an 'it'; he was a boy, a gorgeous, perfect, baby boy.

The who, where and why questions would have to wait to be answered, her first concern was the baby. Picking up the box she went back through into the hall and switched the lights back on. She was sure that stored in a box of unsold jumble were some clean babygros. As she pulled the box from the store cupboard it occurred to her that the poor mite was probably hungry. Finding the garments she was looking for she was just pushing the box back when she heard the door into the hall open. Looking up she saw Harry entering a worried look on his face.

"I thought you were just locking up the office?" he said.

"I was but when I went into the office I found something and... well I couldn't just ignore it."

"Geraldine, I knew when I married you that the church and your work in the parish placed a huge demand on you but you have to have some time of your own."

"No really Harry I couldn't ignore it."

"You always say that."

"I know I do, but..." She took his hand and led him to where the box was on the stage. "Could you have ignored that?"

"Harry looked down into the box and gasped.

"Jesus Christ it's a baby."

"I'll forgive the blaspheming this time as I almost did the same. Harry we need to take him home and into the warm. I never thought I'd say this but can you nip to the 24hr Tesco and get some formula, bottles and nappies."

Harry looked at his wife, worried by the tone of her voice.

"Surely we need to call the police?" Harry said.

"I know that, don't you think I know that?"

"Well yes but..."

"No buts. You get those things I will go to the house get the baby into some warm clothes and then I will call the police."

Harry watched, as Geraldine lifted the box with the baby in. and headed towards the door his heart heavy. That small babe needed a Mother; he just prayed that Geraldine didn't see herself in the role. If she did it was bound to cause heartache as the authorities would never allow it. They'd never discussed adoption but Harry realised there were waiting list and strict criteria to be met. Even if they did meet the criteria, it would not be soon enough for the Dibley baby to be placed with the Reverend and Mr Kennedy.

Once back at the house Geraldine cleaned the washing up bowl out and filled it with warm water. Placing the bowl in front of the fire, she took the towel from around the baby and placed him in the warm water and gently began washing the blood from his body and hair, singing softly as she did.

"When the weather is fine you know it's the time

For messin' about on the river

If you take my advice there's nothing so nice