Chapter XX: Tempted

"He stood up, and he looked very strong and grave as he took both my hands in his and said he hoped I would be happy, and that if I ever wanted a friend I must count him one of my best." -Bram Stoker, Dracula

Chapter XX: Tempted

Yawning.

Staring at the ceiling.

More yawning.

I roll over to lie on my side and sigh deeply, bored with this room, bored with my dreary daily routine, bored with life, bored with everything. I'm so tired of sitting around lethargically and always having nothing to do. Anything would be better than this insistent weariness and impatience. I long for change, excitement, and freedom. Instead, all I have are these same four walls; so black and confining they remind me of a cave.

I'm trapped, and I hate it.

It has been an entire month since I found Erik's lifeless body in the dungeon, and it also has been an entire month of nothingness. I've tried to occupy myself to pass the time, but there's only so much I can do in this room. I miss the simple pleasures of watching a movie, listening to music and reading a good book. Being alone with nothing but my thoughts just makes me miss everything about my old life and the people I left behind.

Erik comes by for an hour each day, temporarily mitigating my boredom, but once he leaves, the stagnation intensifies. Besides, even when he's with me, he's not really there. Since he confronted me about that stupid bite mark on my neck he hasn't been the same. He apologised for the hurtful things he said, but I could tell that it was only perfunctory. From then on, his smile never quite reached his eyes and he hasn't made a move to kiss me.

It's like we're strangers.

Heath sometimes visits too, and I enjoy his company. He is so lively, cheeky and vibrant with me; it's easy to forget where I am and the magnitude of all my troubles. He makes me remember how to laugh, and ironically, what it feels like to be human again. But how I wish it were enough! Like Erik, he is forced to leave, and he takes all that respite and vitality along with him. Minutes turn into hours, and hours turn into days, and then after a while, time loses all meaning.

It's maddening!

I run my hands down my face and groan. Having all this time to myself has also left my mind no choice but to stray to other more unpleasant, unwanted thoughts. Even though I have tried to avoid it, to bury it in the deepest, furthest and hardest to reach places in the recesses of my mind, I can't help but wonder where Drake is.

I have only ever seen him on a few, rare occasions, and only ever in passing, and each time he refuses to acknowledge my existence. In fact, I doubt he even noticed me at all. His eyes are always the same frosty, and uncommunicative grey, staring ahead blankly and coldly, never giving away any hint of emotion. It's like he saw right through everyone and everything.... Including me.

Somehow, I don't think he will ever bother me again, and though this should bring me the relief and comfort I so desperately crave and need, it only leaves me numb, like I'm sedated.

Annoyed with myself, I sit up in bed and tell myself to snap out of it. I shouldn't care why he's keeping his distance. I shouldn't care what he thinks about me now. And I certainly shouldn't care about where he sleeps at night now that he's left me his bedroom. But the thing is, I do care, and it bothers me.

Thankfully, before I can dwell on it foolishly and excessively until I work myself into a state, Heath comes bursting into the room, his red eyes the brightest I have ever seen them. Today, he's wearing a nice plain white wife-beater, khaki coloured chinos that are rolled up at his ankles and a nice pair of black converse. He's also sporting a cheeky smile- the dimples in his cheeks two small crescents- and his eyes are glinting crazily with mischief.