Chapter VII: Punished

“How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads; to whom sleep is a blessing that come nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams.” -Bram Stoker, Dracula

Chapter VII: Punished

There’s something about him that makes me uneasy, some longing and at the same time some deadly fear. I feel in my heart a wicked, burning desire for him to kiss me with his red lips again. I want him to ignite the fire in my veins when he bites me. But I know deep down that I shouldn’t think like this at all. I should be thoroughly repulsed by him, not at peace with him sitting beside me.

He’s strong arm is wrapped around my waist, his free hand playing with my dark, long hair. I’m leaning into his side casually, molding into his statue-like body, and my head rests on his broad shoulder. I inhale the masculine scent of his skin and relax into his arms. He may not smell as homely and warm as Erik, but he still has the impossible ability to calm me.

My master takes my locket between his fingers and opens the clasp gently. I turn my head to face him, seeing him peer down through thick eyelashes at the tiny picture of my family and he bites down on his bottom lip. His deep grey eyes meet my mother, then my father and finally rest on my little sister. He must see something in her sky blue eyes because his beautiful face suddenly flickers with emotion.

“Is she your sister?” he asks.

“Yes master,” I reply, my voice thick.

“What’s her name?”

“Violet, master. She’s only eight years old,” I murmur, looking down to my fiddling fingers in my lap.

Oh Violet… I miss my little sister so much. I miss her high-pitched laugh… Her cute dimpled smile… The way she would always ask me to tell her a bedtime story… I even miss seeing her cuddle our annoying cat Nala. She’s too young to loose her sister. How I wish I could be home with her!

“You miss her, don’t you?” he says, his grey eyes now gazing into my blue ones.

I nod my head, feeling overwhelmed by the intensity to his stare. He cups my cheek, his fingers cold against my skin, and gives me a sad smile.

“You love her deeply,” he adds.

What he said isn’t a question, but a statement. How can he know that when he’s a vampire, someone who’s incapable of understanding?

“I love her with all my heart and soul,” I whisper, my voice ringing with heartbreaking conviction. “I love my whole family…”

They gave me everything a girl could ask for; a loving home, food on the table and an education. We led a simple life, but it was a happy one. I have the best memories of my childhood. I will never forget what they’ve done for me. Never.

“Is he your brother too?” my master asks softly.

I find myself confused by his question until I look down and notice the other picture of Erik giving me a piggyback. My arms are wrapped tightly around his neck, legs around his waist and my head thrown back as I laugh at something he’s saying.

God how I miss him.

“No master. He’s my best friend,” I murmur.

I pick up the piece of paper that has fallen into my lap and carefully unfold it to reveal Erik’s beautiful poem.

You are the star that lights up my night… Is he in darkness now then?

You are the fire that burns so bright… Can he feel warmth now without me?