Chapter 17

After a moment of silence as everyone registered the seeming non-sequitur, a couple of kids raised their hands, as did a few of the order members.

Nico sighed dramatically at the small number, and Will smiled fondly at him, but really, he shared the sentiment. Not only would they have to explain that the myths were real, they'd have to explain the actual myths themselves.

"Well," Nico began, conjuring a sofa out of the shadows. As usual he waited for Will to sit down before slumping against him. "It all starts with these primordial Gods, right? So there's Ouranos, god of the sky, and Gaia, goddess of the earth. And they're in love, okay? So they have these kids, the titans. Kronos, Rhea, that kind of thing, and Kronos and the other titans take over earth, with the help of Gaia, who instructs them to chop Ouranos into little pieces, which they do. When the blood of Ouranos interacts with Gaia, it makes these other children, called the giants, but more on them later." He motioned for Will to take over.

"So Kronos and Rhea, who were basically the king and queen of the titans, they had six children. Now some prophecy had declared that Kronos would be overthrown by his children, in the same way he and his brethren had overthrown their father. So when his first child, Hades, or Aidoneus, was born, he ate him. He did the same for the next four children, Poseidon, Hera, Demeter, and Hestia. Then he has the sixth child, Zeus." As he spoke, he got the light to cast shadows along the walls which played out a kind of play of what they were describing.

Nico picked up the story. "Now Rhea decides that she's sick of watching Kronos eat her kids, so she hides Zeus away. It's a really long story but eventually Zeus feeds Kronos this mixture of mustard and wine, and gets him to disgorge the other five, who'd been growing, completely in digested in Kronos' stomach. The six siblings, the gods, fought Kronos and the other titans and eventually defeated them. They began ruling. Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades drew lots to declare realms. Zeus took the sky and Olympus, Poseidon took the sea, and Hades took the underworld, which is where the dead go. Any questions so far?"

Luna Lovegood raised a hand. "You said the underworld is where the dead go, as though it really exists?"

Nico blinked at her. "Well, yeah. But we're getting to that."

Some Hufflepuff raised their hand. "If the underworld is real, how come the ghosts have never told any of us about it?"

Nico's eyes lit up. "You're a smart one aren't you? Well basically, the underworld looks to the dead like whatever they believe in. A Christian would see heaven, hell, purgatory, whatever they're headed for, whilst we'd direct a person of Hindu or Buddhist faith to rebirth, until they'd reached Elysium for the third time. What they see as Nirvana is actually the isle of the blest."

"If everyone sees what they believe in, how do you know it's not actually something else?"

Will chucked. "I was born and raised a Texan catholic. I go to the underworld every month for family dinner. I promise you, I do not see God, or Jesus, or Satan. Unless, of course, Nico's grandmother is visiting, in which case it could be argued that I see Satan."

Nico sniggered, "oh my god Solace. Priceless. Dad is gonna be so proud of you when I tell him that. He might like you even more than Jay and his dad jokes."

"So anyways." Will interceded. "Zeus married Hera, and they had a child, Ares, and technically Hephaestus, although actually Hephaestus was born entirely of Hera's rage, because she caught him cheating on her. He did that quite a lot, and had several other children by several other women, namely Apollo and Artemis, Athena, Hermes, and Dionysus. Poseidon married a sea nymph called Amphitrite, and had kids with her and without her, Theseus, Triton, Atlas, and Pegasus, to name a few. Demeter had a child with Zeus, a goddess called Persephone, who married Hades, which is a bit of a long and completed story that changes depending on who tells it, but they have two children, Zagreus, and Macaria. Demeter has other children, Despoina, Arion, etcetera. Then Hestia had no children, she's the first maiden goddess. Finally, when Ouranos' blood made contact with sea foam, another goddess was born, Aphrodite."