Chapter 30 - Humanities Rule

"Aine, what do you want?" Elyssa's words were icy cold in spite of the fear she felt that made her want to run away. She refused to let her see that though, even if Aine knew she could destroy her without batting an eye.

"You know, I left that message so you could make peace before the end. I didn't tell you that you could leave though, now did I?" Aine's blue eyes stared at her as she awaited an answer to her question. "Well...I do get a bit of joy out of seeing you scared with that 'deer in the headlights' look for some odd reason. I guess that was sort of a bonus to the message."

"I'm not afraid of you Aine."

"Odd, so your legs always shake like that?" Aine responded with a grin while motioning to the obvious trembling in Elyssa's lower half.

Elyssa took a deep breath to calm her nerves before asking, "Why are you doing this?"

"Isn't it obvious? Are you really that naive to the world?"

"Naive that we have to deal with people like you in this world? Trust me, I'm well aware of your typ—"

"If you think I'm the worst this world has to offer, then you haven't seen anything," Aine spat out before she could finish.

"I find that hard to believe."

Aine shook her head at Elyssa's response, "My dear, you have no idea what you're up against or who wants you dead. Maybe it's better that way. What's the old saying? Ignorance is bliss?"

"There's another saying that you're forgetting about Aine."

"And which would that be?"

"That avoidance behavior and guilt go hand in hand. So what are you feeling guilty about Aine that you won't share why you're doing this?"

"You really don't know, do you?" Aine asked.

"Know what?"

"About the prophecy."

"What are you talking about?" Elyssa responded, completely bewildered as Aine laughed at the realization.

"Maybe you should ask your friends, or reconsider who exactly your friends are."

"You're still avoiding my question," Elyssa nearly shouted, feeling her anger rising as her eyes took on a blueish glow and her pupils began to darken. Her vision began to blur and she could feel herself beginning to lose control. The thought that her friends had been lying to her, holding back something that may have put every one of them in danger infuriated her. Especially after the hard time they gave her for keeping the book a secret, she couldn't believe they'd keep secrets of their own that were that important. And now, possibly because of those secrets, Aine was threatening all of them with their lives and she was holding Dantes prisoner.

"Oh, you are powerful. Let's hold that back until tomorrow, shall we?" With a wave of her hand, Elyssa could feel her anger dissipating along with the power that came with it.

"What did you do?"

"Just a little calming spell," Aine stated, looking completely satisfied with herself and how easily she could control the situation, "Not that what you've tapped into was of any concern. You're missing so much of that power you possess. It's kind of a waste really. No worries though, when I get done sucking your powers dry tomorrow I'll show you how to use them properly."

"That's what you want? My powers? Then just take them, let Dantes go, and leave us all alone," Elyssa pleaded.

"Oh, my poor dumb girl. It's not that simple. I want your powers, but that's not what I was hired for. You see, he wants you dead and Dantes...well, he can't be allowed to roam in the state he's in."