Chapter 5 - The Black Book

Aine appeared to glide across the alley, moving ever so closer towards Dantes and Elyssa. Even with a cloak covering her, it wasn't hard to tell that she was absolutely breathtaking. In many ways she hardly looked human, not because she lacked human features but because her features seemed so perfect they would be beyond human comprehension.

Her lips were a deep red, and her face framed by her dark locks and bangs. This, along with her ocean blue eyes, made her porcelain skin almost more beautiful looking. Any one of these qualities would have been desired by many, and to possess more than one would have been a dream.

But there was also something else about Aine that Elyssa couldn't quite put her finger on. There was a sense of deep sadness emanating from her eyes. It was well hidden, but Elyssa was sure it was there.

"Aine, what do you want?" Dantes voice was firm as moved to block Elyssa from her view.

"I'm not here for that, if that's what you're thinking. At least not yet. I was just...shall we say, observing. And my, she is a pretty one."

"And dangerous too. You'd be best to stay away from her," Dantes growled back.

"Oh, a bit protective are we?" Aine smiled as she glided closer, finally stopping once she was only a few feet away.

"And you...I must say time has been kind to you. Still as attractive as ever." Aine spoke as she reached out her hand towards Dantes' face. He flinched and tensed up as she ran the tips of her fingers along his jaw.

"So when do I get to see what lies beneath with nice, soft skin of yours?" Aine could tell from the look in his eyes that her words were starting to get to him. It wasn't really that she was trying to get the demon side of him to show, but if it did she definitely wasn't going to complain. Being the cause of Dantes turning for good was something she would take great pleasure in.

"I see you traded in the red mare for the cat." Dantes replied back.

"Ah yes. These days it'd be quite odd to wander about as the red mare. One has to change with the times, do they not? And I must say I do enjoy being a bit more inconspicuous than in the past. All that attention has a way of weighing on one's nerves, no?"

"Turn into that nice little cat of yours and I'll test that. We'll see how long your nine lives last." Dantes spoke calmly but his underlying tone gave way to there being no doubt that he'd follow through with his threat.

"Touchy, touchy. Does she know about this dark side of yours? That may be a bit more twisted than even she's seen from you."

Aine tilted her head to the side with a sadistic grin on her face, looking past Dantes to the girl behind him.

"I said stay away from her!" he growled at her.

"And as I said, that is not what I'm here for. I promise no harm will come to her." She glared at him before gliding around him towards Elyssa. Her eyes studied Elyssa, moving from her feet to her head and back down again.

"Oh my. You are just as beautiful as I've heard, maybe a bit more so. I must say I am impressed. It's no wonder you abandoned him. He is quite gruesome in his natural form. Completely undeserving of someone such as yourself." Aine's eyes wandered to Dantes as the corners of her lips curled slightly to reveal a smile.

"Notice that he doesn't protest, not one word. Just silence. At least he's not as ignorant as most men," Aine whispered to her.

Elyssa's body froze as Aine leaned in closely and inhaled her scent.

"You even smell lovely."

Elyssa didn't know how to respond. Part of her wanted to lash out, to push her away but something told her not to. She glanced over at Dantes. She could tell he was furious and struggling to control whatever demon lurked inside of him. But there was also a look of fear in his eyes, obvious in the way he was closely watching every little move that Aine made. If he was fearful of an opponent she could only assume it was for good reason.