Chapter Fourteen; Feeding Frenzy

"All right, let's stop," Tuck advised when they'd reached a lone tree. It wasn't their first break, but it sure felt like it was.

They were in hell. The heat hadn't lessened. Their clothes and hair were soaking. Vick could feel himself getting closer and closer to passing out. It no longer mattered how much water he drank or poured on himself: Passing out would become inevitable if the weather didn't cool soon.

Jameson's head and muscles throbbed. He fell to the ground on his knees, thinking only of the shade of a tree. It felt so lovely. It wasn't cool enough to make him feel much better, but it certainly was an improvement.

Skyler sat down next to him quietly, graceful even now. She managed a small smile when she caught James' looking at her. "You really want the Sparth so...terribly?"

"Yeah," he murmured.

"You're thankful...for Tucker," she observed, "For...straightening...you, your thoughts."

Jameson looked away, ashamed. "You mean earlier with Faren?"

"That makes no difference...Thankful for Tucker?"

Jameson shifted, slightly embarrassed as he admitted, "Yeah."

"You will get it," Skyler assured promisingly.

James replied only with a soft smile. Right now, he was more grateful for Skyler than he was for Tucker. It didn't matter how much Tucker had helped him; he couldn't help it. The she-elf was his favorite. She was tough, and different.

"Are you thinking of family?" Skyler asked. Her eyes widdened suddenly. "I-I mean-sorry. That wasn't, um-uh...what's the word? Oh, I don't know-sorry."

Despite the heat and his temper, Jameson burst out laughing. Definitely different.

"Probably respectful or appropriate," he said through chuckles. "But it doesn't matter. I don't care-I'm human. We're not really known for out manners."

"Some are."

"Not ones like me-or Tucker."

"To elves, morals are manners, too."

"Then we're definitely don't have manners!"

Skyler was quiet for a long moment as she pondered. Then: "And yet, here you are."

"That could be taken either as I do or I don't have manners, Skyler," Jameson said, his eyebrows coming together. "Tucker took Tristan away from Orion, from Faren. I-" The youth cleared his throat to cover up the starting of the sentence.

"No, you did not," Skyler asserted gently. "She did herself. Faren never had her."

The way the she-elf said that made Jameson shift where he sat next to her on the ground. He was beginning to feel hot again. She didn't; you did.

Skyler turned to look at Tucker and Tristan some feet away, at the edge of the shade. Tucker was watching over the group as Tristan murmured to him. For a moment, wishfulness washed over her earthy eyes. Then, she turned back to Jameson and grinned.

"Tucker did," she added finally. "He always did."

Jameson knew he would regret asking this, but he needed to be clear on the subject: "And Faren?"

"What of Faren?" Skyler seemed genuinely puzzled.

Jameson was taken aback. "Well, why doesn't he fight for Tristan? She seems near flawless. Quiet, but strong and compassionate."

Skyler furrowed her eyebrows. "Yes, I...agree...But, he does not like that...sort."

Jameson wanted to groan. He had asked a simple question; why couldn't he get a straight answer? Why doesn't she say that he has someone her likes besides Tristan...or that he doesn't? If he didn't, she wouldn't say much about it...Perhaps it has something to do with the language barrier. Maybe she didn't fully understand the question. God, women!