Chapter Twenty-Five; Once In A Blue Moon

"Look, we need the Sparth!" Jameson argued, anger welling up and inching towards boiling over. "You aren't using it-and I need it!" 

"It's not meant to be used-" began The Mist. 

"As a weapon?" snapped James. 

Seeing Jameson's agitation only growing, Tucker pulled the youth back. The man stepped forward, signing that he was taking charge now. 

"We do need," Tucker admitted, "as a weapon...But it is a sparth, right? I mean, that's what it is used as, right? A sparth. A weapon." 

"During the medieval times, yes, but that was eras ago." 

"You're living in a forest with only basic needs-that's more medieval than medieval!" Jameson growled. 

The Mist, vexed, merely said, "Progress doesn't mean quality of life. Value does, and that Sparth is-" 

"Skyler has agreed to stay here!" yelled Jameson. "You're taking away a live, breathing, magical elf away from us whom we all love and trading it for that old, deadly, supernatural weapon. That weapon can be used a million times for a million more things, while Skyler only has so many more years left. While it takes life, she can give!" 

Vick pinched the bridge of his nose. Faren stared at The Mist, curious as to how it would respond. Tucker kept a watchful eye on Jameson, hoping the boy wouldn't do any harm. Tristan and Skyler held onto one another for comfort, hoping for the best outcome. Jameson was red with fury. 

The Mist had no response at first. It went into a deep thought. Jameson could see what was going on, and his anger boiled over. How could anyone think about a decision like this? He started forward, but Tucker grabbed both of his arms. 

The man pulled then shoved Jameson towards the door. "Don't make this harder than necessary. They don't think like us-and you're completely biased regarding Skyler." 

"So are the rest of you," Jameson spat as they exited the hut. 

"Oh, come on, I know you kissed her," Tucker replied. "You're an easy read, Kid. Look, just stay out here. I'll do the negotiating. Besides, it's clear the decision has already been made." 

"What? You saw that thing-it's contemplating!" 

"Hey, focus. Don't get all caught up. Think!" 

Jameson ground his teeth and breath heavily. His anger eased slightly. And he thought. When the realization came to him, he looked back up at Tucker. "It's trying to control us. It was already going to give the Sparth for Skyler. Now it's just making sure it has control. This is it being angry with us? It's trying to protect it's family too." 

"We're as strange to them as they are to us," Tucker reminded the youth and placed a hand onto Jameson's neck. "Just cool off out here, 'kay? We've got them, and they know it. Skyler can run off if she wants, she has control over them with or without us here. And we'll have control over the Sparth-it's inanimate, no matter how magical. Therefore-" 

Jameson nodded as he said calmly, "We have them." 

Tucker smirked and slipped back into the hut. He strode over to The Mist. "Excuse him. he should be fine. Now, when do we get to borrow your Sparth?" 

The Mist gazed up at Tuck with steel-hard eyes. "When I say so." 

"That's not going to work," the man responded smugly. "You see, his family is dying out there without what we need, that's why he's the way he is. And I don't blame him. Now, we're handing over to you someone who can destroy you just as easily as she can help and protect you. So, how about that Sparth?"