2 - Valentine's Daughter

My eyes shoot open as I feel something hit me. I stay lying down, but sense when something else flies at me. I grab it instinctively and sit up.

"Hit me again and you'll be sorry," I snap as I look to see Alec smiling at me. In this lighting his eyes look black rather than his beautiful hazel color. I watch him for a moment before launching the cushion back at him, hitting him in the chest. I'm not sure how much sleep I've managed to get, but it's still dark outside, so it can't have been much. However, it was enough for me.

"We've got a mission," Alec says putting the cushion down on the chair. I immediately jump out of my bed, eager to finally be going on a mission with him again.

"What is it? How many throwing knives will I need?" I say shoving my leather boots on and grabbing a hair tie, fastening my hair into a high ponytail. Alec laughs as he watches me get ready.

"I wouldn't get too excited. I don't approve of this mission, and neither does the Clave. It's just your brother following the little girl's orders," He says pouting. I turn to him raising my eyebrow slightly at him.

"Sounds like trouble, why would he listen to her?" I ask.

"We think Valentine took Clary's mother, Jocelyn, to get to the mortal cup. Now he is convinced if we can find Dot, the mundie's warlock friend, she can retrieve Clary's memories and find the cup," Alec says with a sigh. I look at him for a moment before sighing with him.

"As much as I love breaking Clave rules, I don't want to if she's the one telling us too. It takes the fun out of it," I say causing Alec to laugh slightly. "Why'd you wake me if you don't approve?" I ask turning to him.

"Are you complaining, Princess?" He quirks an eyebrow at me.

"Don't call me that. Let's go," I say slapping his arm as I pass him, grabbing my leather jacket as we make our way towards the training room, where as predicted, the wannabe shadowhunter, the mundie, my parabatai and my twin stand talking. Alec strides ahead of me.

"I don't approve of this mission," He snaps at them causing all heads to turn in our direction. I notice the mundie's gaze land on me, but only for a brief moment before looking back at Clary. "I spoke with the Clave, they're sending Seelie scouts to search for Valentine, but they made it clear, the little girl does not leave the premises."

"Hey, my name is not 'little girl', okay? I don't care what that Clave thing or you want, I'm going to find Dot," Clary snaps back at him.

"I'd be careful there, Red," I say standing by Alec bringing a throwing knife into my hand. "One simple flick of the wrist and you begin caring about what we want." I don't care for her attitude. She has no idea what she's walked into, and her walking around like she makes the rules and owns the place is getting old real fast. Simon looks at me with wide eyes as he backs away from my slowly, but my focus remains on Clary. I can tell that there's a hint of fear in her, her attempt to hide it is pathetic.

"Maelys," Jace says sternly removing my gaze from Clary. He glares at me and so I back away from the group slightly. I'll kill her one day. But today is not that day. I sit myself on the table next to the group playing with the knife between my fingers.
"Alec, this warlock could have the answers we need. With Valentine's people out there searching for Clary, she's not safe outside alone," He continues now focusing on trying to convince Alec. I'm not sure why my twin is so interested in helping this girl. I mean, what's so great about her? She isn't funny, she isn't strong. Sure, she might be pretty-ish, but that can't be what Jace is obsessed with.

"Jace has a point," Izzy chimes in glancing at Alec apologetically.

"Et tu, Izzy?" Alec sighs. There is a silence and Alec glances over to me. I shrug at him before he turns back to the group. "All right, since you have all the answers, where do you suggest we search?" He says turning to Clary.