23. Demons And Ghosts (6)

He Xiang was always dressed somewhat haphazardly in her private time, the wrap-around robe she wore donned embroidered golden lotus, tied simply on her hip. Her long hair cascaded simply to the bottom of her back, black and smooth; with every sway of her hips, the jet black satin rippled against her back. At the moment, she had a relaxed smile on her face, her collarbone peeked from under her thin robe. She did not wear any undergarments either, her breasts squeezed against her arms as she folded them in front of her chest.

"So, sinner of the country, what are you doing in front of my chamber?" She stepped aside slightly, indicating her permission for the man to enter her room.

Man Zui patted the non-existent dust on his clothes and stood.

This time, he did not hunch his back. His clean face still carried some perspiration despite the soft wind blowing outside. He Xiang followed the strong back of the man, thinking his current straight posture was pleasing to the eye.

Man Zui asked, "You... knew?"

"I didn't know, but now I do." He Xiang opened her arms in a helpless manner, "I was going to scream if I found anyone I didn't recognize hiding on my balcony. But you... ." She poked her finger on his chest, "You are not a stranger."

His indifference, the millions of unspoken grief in his eyes she could see when she first saw him, told her, this man was harmless to her.

"You won't report me?" Man Zui squinted his eyes. Obviously he had heard the women talking about the official and soldiers hunting for him.

"It doesn't have anything to do with me," He Xiang shrugged, "You could have killed the Jade Emperor in heaven himself, but whoever died or lived, I am still a well-fed prostitute. I have been living with the code to never care for anything troublesome."

The man frowned, then he let out a soft chuckle that caused He Xiang to be dumbstruck. The clean-shaven face could not be called overly handsome, but he was still good-looking. With the smile on his lips, he would undoubtedly be popular with the ladies. Feeling moved, He Xiang wanted to find out more, "Well, this prostitute has willingly sheltered you in her room. But why did you actually come here?"

"The soldiers ransacked the shop. Old Chen and a few others managed to escape, but the soldiers had also caught some," Man Zui spoke. After all, the Herbal Hall did house a few illegal workers.

He Xiang nodded, "So you ran here and wanted to seek my help?"

"I didn't mean to. I hopped onto the top most floor as I heard from Old Chen this floor is for the expensive courtesans only and the soldiers won't be able to get in with their meager pay. I just chose a balcony on random. I... didn't expect it to be your room."

The both of them were silent for a while. He Xiang suddenly wanted to know about his past and the reason why he had murdered the Emperor; but He Xiang was never a nationalist, she lived for herself only. Yet for some reason, she was curious about this man.

Man Zui coughed softly, "You... how are you?"

"Ah?" She blinked in confusion.

"The medicine you took last time." He returned to his somber expression, "That is an aborfacient. Old Chen talks a lot and he told me that was the sixth time you took such strong medicine. It may not be detrimental to your overall physique, but your womb... ."

He did not have to finish his words, He Xiang perfectly understood. The cold soup was one thing, but strong aborfacients could affect a woman's ability to bear a baby in the future. Even if she were able to get pregnant, there was more chance for the pregnancy to not last, of for the baby to be born with deficiencies.