14. Remnant of Memories

For some reason, although he was smiling, his eyes were wet, as though he had been crying. Perhaps it was the rain, perhaps he had gone mad.

If he could not cry, could she cry in his stead? Would he allow it?

Wasting their time for the past hundred years; him being stubborn in his own belief, her not realizing her obsession towards him was more than just veneration from a disciple to her teacher.

The Shepherd told her what she had to do, that it must be done by her. A legacy from the old Lord to the next generation, had to be passed through flesh and blood, soul to soul.

But how could she do it?

The tiniest part of her thought, it was better for him to obliterate the world, to obliterate her, as long as he did not forget her.

He was surrounded by fire, his white robe was now fully drenched in red, billowing as though it was part of the flickering flame.

Even when he was about to become the god of destruction, he was still the most important existence to her. When the very one that mattered the most was gone, what was the meaning of the world's existence itself?

Billions of people, could not compare to one figure in that robe of white, sleeves swaying gently as the wind teased, blurring the fresh red blood staining his immaculate garment. The rain and the blood splattered on his dark boots, as though he had melded with the vermilion ground.

*** *** ***

Xu Yejing abruptly opened her eyes, blinking away the residual wetness from the dream-like memory. The locket lied broken on the floor, the fragment of bone had also turned cold, no longer emitting the bizarre bluish qi. But the warmth in her heart still lingered, brushing over every single cell in her body, like the soft caress of the bloodied robe of that person.

Then she gradually realized, the warmth was not just from her body, but from all surroundings. Smoke began to seep through the door's cavities, filling the room with putrid air. Clamor and noises penetrated inside, indicating the previously set up barrier was no more.

She coughed a few times and shouted, "Pan-xiong! He-xiong!"

There were a few banging sounds against the door, as though something was repeatedly slammed at it. But no one answered her call.

She thought of the person occupying her mind ever since she woke up and mustered her strength to overcome the blistering air, "Master!!"

The door was blasted open, a silhouette hidden behind the smoke reached out one hand to pull her out. Her eyes stung from the thick smoke, but her nose could smell blood.

"Yejing! Are you hurt?"

She could recognize Fu Chun's voice, feeling relieved of Fu Chun's safety more than her own. After all, it had been a while since Xu Yejing had seen the latter. Her bleary eyesight could make out the cerulean-blue sparks dancing in some distance. She was comforted, Fu Yan must be here too.

True enough, another voice chimed in, "Yejing, we're so glad we're not late! Those two bastards, I'll teach them a lesson later!" He was referring to Pan Lang and He Zhanyi, who had taken upon themselves to seal Xu Yejing inside the vault.

Whip in hand, Fu Yan's gaze washed over her, from the tip of her hair to the sole of her shoes, wanting to check for the slightest injury. His concern could not have been more genuine, the qi left on his whip emitted lighter blue color than what Xu Yejing remembered.

"Yan...xiong...," Xu Yejing blinked. Was her eyesight too damaged from the smoke? Just a moment ago, wasn't Fu Yan fighting a few feet away?

Fu Yan was startled, "Yejing, your... your voice... . You can speak!"