18. Demons And Ghosts (1)

Before the morning sun graced the plateau with its first ray of light for the day, Fu Yan, Fu Chun, and Xu Yejing were already ready to leave. Saint Huo Bai and some others from the Sect stood by the First Prince estate's gate to see them off. Pan Lang was amongst them, He Zhanyi had returned to the Second Prince's estate.

Fu Yan spoke to them for a while while Xu Yejing and Fu Chun stood waiting. Xu Yejing glanced at the latter, noticing this time Fu Chun was more quiet than usual as well. Normally, amongst the two siblings, Fu Chun acted more as the person in charge.

Returning her attention to the small group of cultivators, some of them looking like respectful elders, Xu Yejing commented, "It's just us traveling, why do they need to be so solemn about it and why do the Saint and the elders have to send us off?"

Fu Chun followed her glance in silence.

Having finished briefing Fu Yan, the Saint spoke to the three of them, "Shuyi Town is a beautiful place, its waterways are pristine, some of the structures have been around since the ancient time," he sighed, "Truly a sight even back then... ."

It truly made one wonder how old Huo Bai actually was.

"We are not traveling to sightsee," Fu Yan curtly said.

The easygoing Sect Leader slapped the younger man on the shoulder, "But you have Yejing with you. She has never set foot outside Xinlu. She's a young lady, and will undoubtedly like pretty flowers and beautiful landscapes!"

Noticing Fu Yan's rigidity, Fu Chun hastily interjected, "Master, we shall go now. Take care."

The Sect Leader smiled in response, but his gaze still affixed onto Fu Yan's expressionless face.

Finally, Fu Yan also bowed lightly, "Mas...ter, take care."

"Good disciple!" A few more pats on the shoulder. Suddenly, Fu Yan grabbed the Saint's hand by the wrist and smiled. Even to Xu Yejing, his smile was frosty.

"Don't forget what Master Uncle has said, Master." Fu Yan spoke, "The Sect's support for Min Yunfan is basically finished, Master. Pan Lang and He Zhanyi should concentrate their energy to prepare Min Qiheng instead, Master. If you have free time, you should find out where that woman is, Master."

Saint Huo immediately stepped backwards, his smile faltering behind his trademark fan. With a wave of his hand, he finally turned his back and shooed them away. Xu Yejing did not miss the smirk on Fu Yan's lips as the three of them walked away towards their mounts.

Fu Chun and Xu Yejing shared a horse, while Fu Yan rode by himself. As they reached the gate of Xinlu city, the guards let them through easily with Fu Yan and Fu Chun's identification plate, belonging to Flaming Cauldron Sect. The Sect had a prominent standing amongst the Taishan dynasty citizens, all cultivators from the Sect were treated with respect. Only a few steps outside the gate, a single person horse-drawn carriage came from inside.

Qin Zhe alighted from the carriage, his body covered with a thick furcoat. He walked towards the horse Fu Chun and Xu Yejing sat on and looked up. Xu Yejing knew, he was most probably imprinting Fu Chun's image into his memory. But the oblivious maiden merely asked, "Do you need something, Young Master Qin?"

He staggered slightly at her alienated way of addressing him. In the past, Fu Chun had called him as 'Qin Zhe'. She no doubt was displeased of his secrecy and schemes in the past few days, especially when it had put Xu Yejing in danger. Qin Zhe stared at her in silence, she stared back. Finally, he sighed and took a step backwards, bowing towards the two women, "Please, take care of yourselves."

After looking at Qin Zhe's straight but forlorn-looking figure, Fu Chun's voice finally softened, "I understand the reason you've done what you did. I would have done the same." She turned the horse forward, not sparing him any further glance, "Take care, Young Master Qin."