» 06.

[getting sick of this story lmfao]

"louis, lunch is ready!" vivian called from the downstairs kitchen. the rest of the family was already in the kitchen but as if it was tradition, they wouldn't eat until everyone in the house had food. louis had been staying with the mackenzie's for just over three weeks now and he was just about settling in.

louis placed his notebook down, and carefully lay his pen in the middle of it. it had to be left perfect or else louis would panic. he then made his way slowly down the stairs. even despite the family's rumbling stomach and almost irritated moods, they still put on a large fake smile when louis eventually greets them.

"good afternoon, louis." vivian smiles at him warmly.

he nods his head in response but words fail him. he felt his stomach grumble as he looked at the delicious roast in front of him.

vivian as well as being an amazing mum and psychiatrist she is also a brilliant cook. louis had really gotten used to her cooking. however, there wasn't a day that went by when louis didn't think about his mother.

nobody had given him a specific time of how long she would even be at the hospital for, that's what truly annoyed him the most.

he could sense something was happening, but he wasn't being informed. it was silly because after all she is his mother and only family on earth. he has the absolute right to know.

"how is your studying going, son? still thinking of studying the maths and sciences?" louis nodded his head firmly at steve's question. he was a real nerd.

"yes. it's tough though." louis replies in a quiet tone like he usually does.

"that's true but still, you're so intelligent, louis! you're gonna make it far." not with the condition he has. it doesn't matter if he has the biggest most smartest brain in the world, at the end of the day if he can't talk in interviews how can he get a job?

louis knew that was a fact and it really disappointed him. he wanted to do well in life, his phobia of talking to strangers just was eating him alive slowly.

he needed to conquer it soon.

+++

there was a soft tapping at the door and louis looked up to see who was going to enter. he was the middle of answering a maths question in his bible sized textbook that was actually his favourite christmas present of all time. strange boy.

"hey." ashleigh smiles at him and he gives her a weary smile back, "can i come in?" he nods his head but averts his eyes back to his textbook.

ashleigh walks around the room a bit, taking in the few music posters he had here and there. but the masses of books he had everywhere was intimidating. ashleigh wasn't much of a reader, she didn't enjoy pouring herself into a novel and getting lost in the plot, characters and drama.

that was louis basically.

ashleigh gets bored though pretty easily and perches herself next to louis on the bed. he glances up to see the distance between them, checking to see if it was suitable, then carries on working.

it was almost exhausting being friends with him.

"so. how was school today?" ashleigh starts to make awkward conversation.

"boring as always." louis replies back, looking up at her once but carries on working. he was actually comfortable around ashleigh the most, after his mother of course, then vivian. he trusts ashleigh and that means a lot to her.

"oh, i would've thought you would have enjoyed it. you're so clever."

louis scoffs, "why would that mean that i enjoy school? gosh."

in a way ashleigh could see where he was coming from but she was determined to keep the conversation going as she was bored out of her mind, "so have you planned what job you might want to do later on in life yet?"

"no. i can't even decide what to wear tomorrow, how can i decide what future career i want?" louis chuckles as if it was the funniest thing ever. a load of crap though, if you ask me.

"i know but still, don't you have any ideas?"

"nope."

ashleigh didn't know what to say anymore so as she felt quite awkward all she could really do was just stare at louis working.

hoping it would pass time.

++

"ashleigh?" she stirred, but didn't open her eyes to louis' disappointment. louis groaned and began to shake her shoulders a little harder this time hissing her name. eventually she awoke with a start, "about time gosh. it's late, you need to go to your own room."

louis was in his pyjamas now and ashleigh had been sleeping for three hours straight on louis' bed whilst attempting to study.

it was that boring.

"urgh, why can't i stay here?" louis felt his cheeks heating at the thought of them both sharing the bed together, even though it was a double bed. the thought iust seemed very extreme.

"b-because. you cannot." louis replies dumbly. ashleigh yawns and then rolls her eyes. after that she lies back down on louis' bed and zonks out once more.

louis sighed, not having enough energy to wake her up and have an argument with her. she looked ever so peaceful anyway, why ruin that? so he lay down next to her and watched her.

he was observing her breathing patterns and also the frown lines that appeared on her face. it was probably from a nightmare. louis wanted to whip them away but he knew he also didn't want to wake her.

he didn't realise how beautiful she was before either.

until now.

+

"why were you in his bed?" louis could hear steve questioning his daughter even though louis' door was closed due to him getting changed. louis felt quite awkward because of last night. he knew that things would get a bit dodgy especially in steve's eyes. he may like louis but he, of course like any father would be, was very protective over ashleigh.

"i was only sleeping. i promise. he wouldn't do anything anyway. he's too scared." louis pretended to not be offended by that, even though he knew it was true.

"fine, lets just hope it doesn't happen again. you know the rules." steve's voice made louis laugh because it was quite stern and scary, somehow that was amusing for louis.

"yeah but dad, he's my best friend. you don't need to worry about anything happening. i have a boyfriend anyway." now that wasn't something louis knew about.

they can't be best friends if he didn't know that?

"W-WHA-"

"-hold on steve my love. you said so yourself, she can wait till she was sixteen when she can date, isn't that right?" vivan's voice was a calm and soothing as ever. she was so good at calming people down, so patient and considerate.

"no, yes okay maybe i did say it. once, but i don't want her dating any sleeze bags, we need to meet this guy, okay?" steve's voice was demanding and assertive and again that was amusing for some reason for louis.

louis picked now for the time to come down the stairs with his tie perfectly tied, hair styled to one side and uniform on point.

"as a matter of fact, i'm bringing him home for dinner tonight." ashleigh seemed quite proud to say whilst her parents looked completely shell shocked.

"well you didn't tell us sooner, i could've prepared his favourite meal?" vivian looked quite stressed out all of a sudden which wasn't at all like her.

"no don't worry, we can order something. it'll be fun, he's really nice okay? his name is hayden and he's the cutest most nicest guy i know from school. you guys will adore him as much as i do."

that's a lie. louis hates him already.