Allison

This morning was cold, even wrapped in the comfort and warmth of my blankets the cold still hits me hard. It was hard getting off my bed, as it is every morning. I force myself off, later to feel the cold slap me on my face. "Why is it so cold in here?" I mummer to myself rubbing my arms hoping friction would warm me up.

"Oh, that's because I opened the windows." I hear a firm but light voice coming from the other side of the room. My eyes widened by surprise but instead of shrieking like he hoped, I threw a pillow at his pale face. "Hey don't be aggressive. That hurts you know." I look at him with a grin. "Well it hurts in the heart." Roy frowns.

"What heart?" I retort. "Who freezes his best friend and still has a heart?" He laughs. I got up and walked up to him. "So what do you need?" I ask poking Roy in the forehead.

"Dad wants to ask you for a favor. And you might be gone for a while if you accept it, so I came to steal you away for a day of fun." I laugh. "What?" His confused expression makes me laugh harder.

"My hero. Let me change first, and please do me a favor and close all the windows." I grabbed my favorite white waist-lengthened tunic, my belt and my warmest pair of black pants. I walked to him, with his stunning blue eyes staring straight at me. "Do I have something on my face or what?" I ask him with a smile. He walks to me and grabs my arm.

"C'mon!" He rushes us down the stairs and comes to a brute stop on my door. "Your shoes..." I nod and run to my room and get my leather boots putting them on while walking -more like hopping- back. He grabs my arm again and pulls me with him.

After dragging me to our secret hideout tree-house in the forest he smile and let go of my now damaged arm. "Allison, I need to tell you something..." My heart skips a beat, was he about to do what I think he is? I've liked him for so long, that well built brunette was my best friend, but it always felt like more. "We've been best friends forever, and this is going to be a big change... and I'm scared it might affect our friendship..." I felt an embarrassed smile creep on my face. I look at the ground so that he won't see the flustered look on my face. "I'm going to the village neighboring ours, Greenfield." I look up in shock. "Exciting right?" I forced a smile. “That’s also why we might not see each other for a while, I’m leaving a week after you leave for the job... if you accept it that is...”

"Yeah... What are you going to do there?" I ask hoping my frustration didn't show.

"MANY THINGS!" He yells enthusiastically. "Maybe I can find someone, also a job, and a new home!" A new home? Did he really hate it here?

"That's sweet, but what will happen to your dad? Aren't you supposed to be the village's new chief?" I ask out of curiosity, and maybe a bit of hope... who am I kidding? All of my hope, all I had left after he friend-zoned me... 

"Yes, but that'll only happen in the future! I still have a whole life ahead of me!" He smiles like it's nothing.

"Yeah, you're right... I hope you find the girl of your dreams!" I smile happy for him, but I was really just dying inside.

"Is something wrong? You seem down." I began to despair.

"Must be a cold... I can thank you for that." I try joking to shake off the awkwardness. "I'm going back to get some more sleep. I'll see you later."

"Sure... See you later..." He said strangely, like he knew something was up.

 I climb down of the tree as fast as possible and call out for my Calla, my beautiful dark bay horse. I got on her and didn't even look back, feeling so much disappointment mostly in myself.

 Instead of going to my own house, I decide to visit the kids in the village, since my house was the only one outside the village I don't see them everyday.