Castletown

After what seems like ages (actually two days) of traveling, I made it to the castle town.  Letting Callah roam free and do as she pleases in the wild, I open the big gates that lead into the town. Walking into the big city surrounding the big castle, I felt strange. Everyone was wearing something more classy while I was dressed in my normal work clothes, I look like a clean abandoned child. I sigh away the awkwardness and head for the castle.

“Excuse me ma’am...” Someone said poking my shoulder. I turn around curiously, then I see a black haired man about my age, his eyes were black, shallow and soulless, yet his smile shows a caring man. 

“Sir?” I ask not really concerned about what he had to say, I was too busy trying to find a way through the crowd of people without being spotted as the town’s peasant who was most likely pick pocketing people while finding a way into the castle...

“What are you doing?” He asks, and I swear his innocent smile turned into a dark, mischievous grin.

“Sir, I’m afraid that what I am doing is confidential information. However I do thank you for your concern.” I say avoiding the use of anger in my tone. The anger I felt was towards his grin... I felt uncomfortable by it, as if the grin itself was pure evil...

The man grins and starts laughing evilly, he gave me the creeps... His black eyes glow  for a second, and then go back to normal. His grin disappears randomly and he looks concerned. “Run away, whatever it is you came here to do... Run away...” He said that and left. I stare dumbfoundedly into space wondering what just happened. Oh well, nothing important, just a weirdo saying weird things...

I start walking to the castle again, until yet another interruption came along... I hear sirens ring, real sirens, not the fake drill ones. Everyone starts to panic, screaming can be heard across the air, people start shoving others trying to find cover... I stand still horrified by what I see in front of me. I hear a loud crashing noise behind me, looking back I saw creatures one would never have dreamed of seeing...

It’s snake-like red eyes look around pleasantly seeing the chaos happening around it, its smile showed its sharp, shark-like big teeth (you could smell the rot in them from here), its green slimy-looking skin glowed as the sunlight beamed at it, it was taller than three man put one on top of the other. “People of Lyre!” His rigid voice hisses. “SHUT UP AND STAND STILL!” He yells when he sees his previous comment wasn’t listened to, but his yell made everyone stop in fear and look at him. “You are now hostages, and will continue to be until the prince gives us command of the kingdom. Make any attempts of escape and my guards will kill you.” Miniature versions of this monster appear wearing helmets and fighting garments. I sigh walking back trying to find a hiding place suitable enough for a sneak attack.

“An ambush is sometimes the smartest thing to do when your soldiers are faced with a greater majority of enemies of equal or higher leveled strength.” My dad told me one sunny afternoon near the river.

“But what if the enemy’s level of strength is too high? Then what?” I asked with the curious mind of a five year-old.

“Then you observe them, see what their weakest point is and use it against them.” He said wisely. “Do you know of the tale of the Cyclopes?” He asked me after a few minutes of silence.

“Isn’t he that mean one-eyed guy that can shoot beams of light through his eyes?” I asked.

“Yes, it is said that the skin of a Cyclopes is impenetrable.” He said to me carefully making sure that I understood, as if this information might save my life one day.

“How do you defeat a Cyclopes than?” I asked knowing he wanted me to ask that.

“The one part of his body that isn’t protected is it’s eye, if you blind it, the Cyclopes wouldn’t be able to use his only sense and would die of injury or starvation since he wouldn’t be able to catch any food.” Dad explained.