Chapter 4

Thank you so much for all the comments and follows, I'm very grateful! I hope you're enjoying the story and I hope this next chapter doesn't disappoint. Also I apologise for any spelling mistakes. And please review/leave a comment, I really appreciate feedback. Enjoy!

Amelia shivered against the cool breeze that danced up her spine. As she stood silently watching the fort walls in the distance. The memory of escape still fresh in her mind. The sound of her beating heart echoing in her ears as they moved through the fort out of sight. Redcoats so close you could hear their every breath.

She was free and she was grateful to be alive. Turning back to the path she noticed the Templar gazing at the night sky before looking down to face her. The look on his face clearly proved that he didn't know which way to go. Smirking to herself she ventured passed him further into the forest.

"I assume you need to return to Boston... I believe if we head east we should arrive in a week at the most."

"You wish to accompany me Assassin?"

"No I wish to keep my enemies close and return home unharmed. This way I can do both."

The Templar couldn't help but chuckle at her logic before following close behind.

It was a cool, windy night; the swaying of trees and rustling of leaves could only be heard and not seen as the darkness had blotted out all but the faintest light of the moon. Stopping in her tracks, Amelia glanced around at her surroundings. They were hours away from the fort by now and the night was harsh as winter beginning to set in. Looking out into the distance she could just spot a small cave in the opening of the rocks at the base of a rather large hill.

"We should make camp for the night. The weather will surely turn and the cold is too much to bare. There's a cave over there we can take shelter and keep warm."

"Very well. You craft us a fire, I shall hunt for food."

Amelia didn't even have time to argue before the Templar had disappeared into the depths of the trees. Taking a deep breath, she wandered inside the cave. The inside was surprisingly spacious and dry, taking hold of small rocks she quickly placed together a small fire pit before making her way back outside to collect wood.

The brisk winter wind took hold of her as she stepped out, noticing a small snow fall was beginning to cover the ground. The Grandmaster's footprints clearly visible as they led into the forest. She suddenly found herself full of endless questions about him once again. Why did he let her live after all this time? Why save her life in the first place? If Amelia didn't know any better; it almost seemed as if the Templar...cared about her safety.

Wondering further forward, Amelia collected handfuls of dry wood and broken sticks before she began to head back. With every step she took, another question entered her mind. Doubt, confusion and curiosity seemed to overwhelm her with each passing moment.

As the warmth of the newly roaring fire danced across her face, she found herself gazing at the flames. Her mind ever thinking of the mysterious Templar that had saved her life. She felt rather foolish having such thoughts of a man that was; in her rational mind an enemy...not to mention the fact that she didn't even know his name.

Amelia was brought from her thoughts by the sound of muffled footsteps stomping through the snow. She rose to her feet to become face to face with the Templar as he entered the small cave carrying a pair of small rabbits in his hand.

"I believe these should be enough to satisfy our empty stomachs for the time being."

"Yes... I...thank you."

After handing her the rabbits she quickly drew her hidden blade before kneeling to skin them, the pair prepared, cooked and ate their meals in silence.

As the cold winds continued to whisper into the night, the snow continued to fall. The fire had begun to die out and both Assassin and Templar had given in to their exhaustion.

Amelia let sleep take her in the hopes that her foolish thoughts would fade away. But they didn't, his face and his voice continued to plague her mind even as she slept. Woken suddenly by the volume of her racing mind, she realized just how cold she was. The cave may have been small and dry but held little to no heat at all. She felt her body shivering against the cold, small gasps uttering from her lips as she attempted to hold herself to keep the only heat she had left. The sound of shuffling feet caused her to freeze. Not daring to turn around from fear of facing her end, she prepared herself for the attack she had been inevitably waiting for. Instead she felt warmth, reaching down only to find the Grandmaster's cloak was draped across her shivering body.

Sitting up she glanced across at the Templar. Laying with his back facing her, she watched silently as he signed contently and drifted back to his peaceful slumber. Turning back to find sleep herself, she tucked the cloak around her small frame. As she settled, her mind began to race once more. Why was the Grandmaster so caring towards her? What did he want? Although she found his actions rather odd, she still couldn't help the small smile of gratitude that appeared. Amelia couldn't understand why the man seemed to care so much. And her instincts were telling her that she needed to find out.